UltravioletPhotography

Hello from Australia!

robwalwyn

Hi there :)

Thanks to the mods for letting me join - my name is Rob Walwyn and I'm a photographer based in Sydney, Australia. I primarily shoot on analogue film cameras (but also dabble with some digital) and with a particular interest in infrared and UV photography (although I am still very much a newbie for UV photography).

My main passion is shooting Kodak Aerochrome false colour infrared film and I have been working on a photo project documenting the aftermath of the 2019-20 Australian bushfires using this film and I have also recently published a fairly detailed article about shooting Kodak Aerochrome (which you can check out on my website: www.robwalwyn.com/aerochrome). I hope to learn a lot from this forum (and contribute where I can!) and do lots of experimentation on both analogue and digital in UV/IR.

Cheers,

Rob

499_009_newest-sharpened.jpg

658_004-sharpened.jpg

Amazing images, and surely some of the last real aerochrome images that will ever be made. It's like looking at an endangered species.

Welcome to UVP.

It is very nice to see that we get such an expert in using the Aerochrome and similar films.

I really love the second image you posted above.

Aerochrome is a hot topic, for sure.
Enjoyed the info and examples on your site.

The splashes of pink in the first one, really accent the new growth. Beautiful deep reds and detail in the second.

lonesome_dave

Beautiful pics Rob. I see from your website freezer pic that you are a curator of what little remains of many classic IR films. Many bring back fond memories such as Kodak HIE, 2443, EIR, Konica 750, etc.

Hope to see more results as you work through your stash.

Welcome to UVP. Your second image is breathtaking. Glad such rare film is being used by someone capable of maxing it out.

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

On 2/21/2023 at 2:29 PM, colinbm said:

Hi Rob, how is the 'Big Smoke' ?
I like these intense reds.
You will have plenty of fans here.

Hi Colin :) All going well in the Big Smoke (which at the time of those bushfires, was well and truly smoky!).

On 2/21/2023 at 4:50 PM, Andy Perrin said:

Amazing images, and surely some of the last real aerochrome images that will ever be made. It's like looking at an endangered species.

Thanks very much Andy - I suspect there are still a few rolls floating around in people's freezers, and I wanted to make that detailed blog post to capture all the relevant info I've learned so that other people can get the most out of their precious rolls! I'm very glad to have built up a stash to properly experiment and learn on, plus hopefully get some nice unique images along the way.

On 2/21/2023 at 7:33 PM, nfoto said:

Welcome to UVP !!

Is this the EIR film processed in E-6?

Thank you! The first one is Aerochrome (likely a very similar if not identical emulsion to the 35mm EIR) processed in E6, the second is Aerochrome processed in C41 :)

On 2/22/2023 at 12:29 AM, ulf said:

Welcome to UVP.

It is very nice to see that we get such an expert in using the Aerochrome and similar films.

I really love the second image you posted above.

Thank you very much ulf :) That second one is my favourite from the series so far, had it drum scanned and printed about 1.2m tall for a client a few months back and it was a beautiful sight to behold!

On 2/22/2023 at 4:08 AM, GaryR said:

Aerochrome is a hot topic, for sure.
Enjoyed the info and examples on your site.

The splashes of pink in the first one, really accent the new growth. Beautiful deep reds and detail in the second.

Thanks Gary - hopefully a lot more useful info and examples to come! Yes that first image was about 3 months after the fires had been through, the second one maybe a year or so afterwards so you can really see a lot more of the regrowth (although in the back left of that second image you can really still see the scarring).

22 hours ago, lonesome_dave said:

Beautiful pics Rob. I see from your website freezer pic that you are a curator of what little remains of many classic IR films. Many bring back fond memories such as Kodak HIE, 2443, EIR, Konica 750, etc.

Hope to see more results as you work through your stash.

Thanks Dave! Yep a big obsessive in tracking down any and all interesting old infrared films, and I've had some very lucky scores in my time. The Aerochrome 2443 stuff is very beautiful, especially as I'm lucky enough to have it in a 5" wide roll that a friend helps cut down to 4x5" sheet film.

18 hours ago, Doug A said:

Welcome to UVP. Your second image is breathtaking. Glad such rare film is being used by someone capable of maxing it out.

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

Thanks for the kind words Doug! 

@robwalwyn The second image is spectacular.
The clear area, down, near the river is an area with different trees or was it one where a ray of sunlight was filtering through the clouds?
Thanks

Toni

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 8:09 PM, JMC said:

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Jonathan

On 2/24/2023 at 5:42 PM, Nate said:

Welcome Rob, excellent pics! Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers @JMC and @Nate

On 2/25/2023 at 5:12 AM, photoni said:

@robwalwyn The second image is spectacular.
The clear area, down, near the river is an area with different trees or was it one where a ray of sunlight was filtering through the clouds?
Thanks

Toni

Thanks @photoni- I love that image. And you're correct in that it was just a bit of sunlight filtering through the clouds; I could see the patch of light slowly moving across the scene so waited until it was basically hitting the river :)