UltravioletPhotography

Lens & Filter Tools

Andrea B.

While discussing a problem with filter retaining ring replacement, I saw again this Amazon link from our member Enrico. It brings up some rubber filter wrenches which can be very useful if you have ever needed to dismantle a lens or any of its parts. Then if you scroll down the page, you see other tools like the wrap-around filter wrenches, the metal spanner wrenches and a nifty set of camera screwdrivers. I'm not sure how long this link will last, but here it is.

Lens Tools Link

[Our usual disclaimer:  UVP, Andrea, and Birna are not affiliated monetarily with any commercial website and gain no benefit from any member's purchases.]

In case that link goes away, I'll list a few useful lens & filter tools here.

In case these links go away, well, you'll just have to search. 😁

All links are FYI, just one example of many, picked randomly.

Please shop carefully for prices and items specific to your particular needs.

Wrap-around Filter Wrenches

These are great to use when a filter stack gets stuck. Put one on the top filter, one on the bottom filter, etc.

Metal Spanner Wrenches

You must use these with care so as not to slip out of the retainer grooves, but if the ring (or whatever) is in there really tight, then these spanners provide the necessary torque.

Electronics Tool Kit

All kinds of screwdrivers, spanners, drivers and more. (I don't even know the names of some of this stuff.) I have a kit similar to this randomly picked example and use it regularly. 

Vacuum Suction Thingy

I don't have this, but I can see it could be very useful. Said to be for removal of a lens front element. But I can see it as useful for holding a piece of filter glass which you are going to put into a mounting ring.

Helicoid Grease

If you've ever taken a lens completely apart down to the helicoid, then you are probably wanting to provide a bit of lube. Please research the proper kind of grease which your item might need. This is only an exLeample to remind us all that we can do some lens maintenance all by ourselves! This example appears to be a Teflon/Lithium concoction. 

Lens Tissue

You can never have enough of this stuff. I think I prefer using lens tissue over microfiber cloths. Microfiber cloths eventually need washing, but you need to carefully choose what detergent you wash them in so as not to leave any kind of chemical residue. Lens tissue or microfiber cloth = YMMV, of course.

Added Later

Formula MC Lens Cleaner

I've used Formula MC for years. It requires a clean, then polish technique. The first pass to remove dirt/dust and fingerprints, then the second pass to shine up the glass. I've never yet hurt a lens or filter coating using Formula MC. [Nope, I'm not affiliated with Formula MC. I just like it.] 

Zeiss Lens Cleaner

Zeiss also makes an excellent cleaner. That is a cute lens cleaning kit under the link with the added blower and brush. A bit pricey though. You can get a larger supply of lens cleaner and tissues for less if you shop around. Then just store the stuff in a ziplock bag.

enricosavazzi

I would like to add also these Rubber Strap Wrenches or Belt Strap Wrenches: https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Strap-Wrench-Set-Functionally/dp/B0B2R2VM48/ref=sr_1_9?crid=CCYGNQCXNRYO&keywords=filter+wrench&qid=1676217756&sprefix=filter+wrench%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-9

They are intended for car oil filters and the like, but have their uses when you must turn or hold lens barrels and other largish cylindrical parts.

6 hours ago, JCDowdy said:

There is a thread repair tool which also functions as a lens spanner.

I find this to be much more stable.

image.png.352fb119fb181f21d45f3ccc8c1de0ae.png

Do you have a link for this one please ?