UltravioletPhotography

A tilted tree in IR

The tilted old fallen tree is shot through a 850nm IR pass filter.

image.jpeg.2a288cee676c73bcaa7d95481c7f965f.jpeg

I wanted to get a feel of how to use a Canon TS-E 17/4.0 with all tilt and shift operations the lens is capable of.

Here I tried to get the entire log sharp by tilting the lens and shooting at f/11. The goal partially failed as the top branches still are a bit fuzzy while the grass along the ground is rather sharp.

The image above is reduced to 30% of the original to make it OK to post here.

At 100% the image is still quite sharp when in focus. I am impressed by the performance.

With a 850nm filter the lens is quite sharp as the wavelength span recorded is rather narrow. 

I expect that will not be the case if more of the shorter wavelengths are included in the image.

Using the lens is a bit challenging with all adjustments and the need for aligning the camera well.

In a way that makes it fun to use.

To me it looks like there is a small forward leaning grumpy knome, looking to the left, standing under the extended big root, at the bottom of the image. 🙂

Am I the only one to see that?

Nice! By the way, the Mac RAW converting software "AccuRaw Monochrome" has a special setting for converted cameras that makes the 850nm+ images extra-sharp by taking advantage of the fact that no interpolation is needed in the de-mosaicing. I have been testing this software and for the 850nm+ IR images, it is superb and better than anything I have seen. I am converted![*]

[*] Obviously this converter is NOT general-purpose, it is specifically for the scenario above, and for cameras that have no Bayer in the first place.

Credit to Lukas for originally drawing my attention to it.

1 hour ago, photoni said:

@ulf nice shot with a lot of three-dimensionality.
was it a gray day with no sun?
to my taste I would have increased the contrast 👍

Thanks Tony.

It was an overcast almost hazy day and also rather cold. 

It was difficult to focus on all settings.

More contrast is a good idea.

Then the image becomes more dramatic.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Something like this?

_DSC3705mc.jpg.94ed918052b5fe6223dab3636e1c05fb.jpg

yes, @ulf  I like this better, but you closed the shadows a lot, it's the medium-high tones that need structure
[according to my ideas and my monitor :-) ]

starting from the first image I would have used this curve in photoshop

then starting from the Raw with the parameters of your soft, it would be easier.

where is knome hidden?

Schermata 2023-02-11 alle 21.47.16.jpg

8 hours ago, photoni said:

yes, @ulf  I like this better, but you closed the shadows a lot, it's the medium-high tones that need structure
[according to my ideas and my monitor :-) ]

starting from the first image I would have used this curve in photoshop

then starting from the Raw with the parameters of your soft, it would be easier.

where is knome hidden?

Schermata 2023-02-11 alle 21.47.16.jpg

I did such a curve adjustment from the 16-bit TIFF file before converting it to a jpg.

My curve looks quite similar to what you show above.

I have rather good monitors that are well calibrated and I can still see the knome.

However the impression of an image varies a lot depending on the ambient light conditions.

I did the adjustment when it was rather dark in the room by the monitor and might have overdone the contrast adjustment making the image too dark.

As I begin to like the motif I might start over from the RAW again.

On 2/10/2023 at 5:00 PM, Andy Perrin said:

"AccuRaw Monochrome" has a special setting for converted cameras that makes the 850nm+ images extra-sharp by taking advantage of the fact that no interpolation is needed in the de-mosaicing. I have been testing this software and for the 850nm+ IR images, it is superb and better than anything I have seen. I am converted![

Is there a windows desktop version or equivalent! This sounds like something I can use.

1 hour ago, ulf said:
10 hours ago, photoni said:

I did such a curve adjustment from the 16-bit TIFF

I never use 16 bit tif

(only if I have to add backgrounds with delicate shades)

light, shadow, contrast, white balance adjustments, for 20 years I've done them with Photoshop camera RAW, now I've been using Capture One for 4 years

for my photos (Sony A7) RAW > Jpeg50% quality 8 processing > WEB Jpeg 25% quality 8

for work photos (Z7) from RAW > save the file in PSD format 100% processing on layers with photoshop > I deliver to the customer Jpeg 100% quality 10 AdobeRGB color profile

My process is a bit different:

Previewing and selecting in FastRawViewer > Raw conversion in RPP64 that I have set to save in 16bit TIFF > Further processing in Photoshop with intermediate saving in 16bit TIFF and for presenting or sharing after suitable size reduction saving in jpg.

That is why I seldom save in a photoshop format if I do not want to preserve processing layers.

I am absolutely not an expert on working with photoshop and fumble around a bit and learn new things all the time, like lately when I learned about working with LUTs.