UltravioletPhotography

TODO LIST

Andrea B.

• Add Tags.
    progress made thru 2021

• Find all Macro topics and move them to the Macro section.
    progress made

• Find all lens measurements made with diffraction gratings or spectro thingys and move them to the informal Lens Spectra section. Lens measurements made with the Sparticle might also go here. There are a couple of other informal measurements. Perhaps rename section to Informal Lens Measurement. Valuable even if not precise.

• Find all Aerochrome topics and tag them. Move them to Filters section.
    progress made

• Find all dead topics and move them to the Retired Threads section. Dead usually means that photos have disappeared because of remote links. Check to see if there is any info to salvage.
    progress made

• Create an Aerochrome Album in the Visitor's Gallery. Solicit inputs.

• Create an Other Album in the Visitor's Gallery in which to place examples like Birefringence, etc. Solicit inputs.

• Create an LWIR, SWIR Album in the Visitor's Gallery. Solicit inputs.

• When and if I ever get time, look into retrieving some of the old board stuff if there is anything there which might be useful.

If I have ever promised to do something and have failed to do it, then please let me know here! Sometimes I'm way too busy and TODO items fall off my radar. I don't want to let anyone down!

I must take a couple of days off to attend to Taxes and follow up on my recent eye surgery. (That was just a simple cataract removal and lens implant. Went quite well.)

I now have two eyes which see the same colors. I think I can see true violet, but have not tested it.

@Andrea B. 👌

I have been postponing my two cataract operations for ten years

(probably caused by more than 10 hours a day in front of the CRT which emitted UV rays)

since I have been using monitor LCD they have not gotten worse.

Thanks for the good wishes!

These days the cataract removal and lens implant takes about 10 minutes once the person and their eye has been "prepped" according to their individual needs. So it has become a very routine surgery. It might seem scary, but don't fear it. 

The eye's recovery time depends on how bad the cataract was. My eye cleared in about 3 days from a minor bit of post-operative corneal swelling which is treated with prednisone drops. When my SigOth had his cataracts removed, one eye took about two & 1/2 weeks for the post-operative corneal swelling to subside. But that was rather unusual.

Almost all cataracts are cause by aging of the eye over time. And yes, the aging involves anything UV: sunlight or any UV-emitting lighting including from our photo gear. There are other causes of cataracts - certain medications or actual physical damage. (I don't know all the possible causes.) 

My first cataract was removed 12 years ago from the left eye. The thinking was that there had been some damage to that eye* at some point because it was an "unusual" cataract, whatever that meant. Anyway for 12 years I've had a left eye which could see color accurately and a right eye which gradually developed its own age-related cataract and could not see color accurately. The sky was sky blue to the left eye and eventually became cyan or cyan-with-a-touch-of-green to the right eye. I had fun with that! When using both eyes, the brain helps out and gave me a color between the two. Nevertheless, I'm happy now to have two eyes both seeing the same colors.

*My baby cousin slugged baby me in that eye with a set of car keys when we were playing and gave me a "black eye". Did that damage the eye somehow? Who knows? But I do remember it in spite of what they say about children under two having no memories from that early age. 😄 There was impact and a big light flash and then tears filling my eyes. But that's all I remember.

@Andrea B.

did you have an operation with a normal lens or a multifocal?

in theory these are more comfortable, but they are difficult to "wear" ,

they are not as practical as the multifocal eyeglasses that I have used for 20 years.

I have a "strange" cataract ... diffractive. see this link

maybe next year I will have the courage to do it :-S

Toni, I had a plain monofocal lens implant. Back in 2011 when the first cataract was removed, I tried a multifocal lens implant but found it difficult to adjust to because it produced a kind of "glow" or "veiling flare". It had to be removed and replaced with a monofocal. Multifocal lens implants might be better now, but I just don't have any recent information about them.

You could get a monofocal implant and then continue to wear your multifocal eyeglasses with a new appropriate correction. 

I was told that it is best not to wait too long to get cataracts removed. If the cataract becomes dense, then it takes a bit more effort to remove it. That can possibly induce increased corneal swelling after the surgery. There is always a small amount of that swelling. Prednisone drops are used for a month after cataract surgery in a gradually decreasing dose. My swelling went away in about 4 days. For my husband, it took about 3 weeks. Both were considered within a normal range. Of course, all this varies by person. Your eye surgeon will be able to tell you more.

It is quite amazing to have a clouded eye restored to youthful vision. The colors are the first thing everyone notices, especially in the violet and blue wavelengths. 

That diffractive cataract is crazy! I'm sure you will be happy to see that gone.

• 2 weeks later...
Wayne Harridge

Firstly apologies for taking this discussion even further off topic!

Recently I have started noticing a halo around small bright light sources where there is a dark background.  The halo is like a rainbow, red at the outside and violet on the inside.  At a recent eye test the optometrist mentioned that cataracts were appearing and would need attention eventually.  I haven't noticed any difference in the color of what I see but that may be just the brain doing some white balancing.  Has anyone who has/had cataracts noticed these halos?

Oh, yes. That is very common. As my right eye cataract increased over time, a pronounced green halo would appear abound light bulbs against a dark background. My husband's bedside reading lamp was one example. 

Wayne Harridge
9 hours ago, Andrea B. said:

Oh, yes. That is very common. As my right eye cataract increased over time, a pronounced green halo would appear abound light bulbs against a dark background. My husband's bedside reading lamp was one example. 

Thanks Andrea, good to hear that it's nothing too sinister.  I guess when it gets too annoying I get the cataracts removed.