UltravioletPhotography

Birefringence patterned abstracts

dunksargent

Birefringence patterned abstracts created via cross polarised transilluminated woven plastic media

355449232_FlamencoDuncanKirkwoodC3andABELeicaXVario.jpg.8695a9f761290332a95197d671d9afdd.jpg

Flamenco

1874716405_FusionDuncanKirkwoodC3andABELeicaXVario.jpg.02e18e26c28eca6c58a84e4cb23719f5.jpg

Fusion

340998923_FlightDuncanKirkwoodC3andABELeicaXVario.jpg.b03670c37d4219984dea68d7f8a16f84.jpg

Flight

1503079456_TiptoeingDuncanKirkwoodC3andABELeicaXVario.jpg.6e51b847a428a92bad10071d222836e7.jpg

Tiptoe 

713419878_HecklerDuncanKirkwoodC3andABELeicaXVario.jpg.51ce905dbeedc689c4ece8ff0b8a1988.jpg

Heckler 

738569723_TheCellist2DuncanKirkwood.jpg.3c4077e58f39cc7beee1f924f1527342.jpg

Cellist  ... this was the very first attempted digital abstract image using the technique – as distinct from using Velvia film. 

A work in progress.

BW, dunk

I LOVE these !!

Very creative !! I've seen abstract photographic work at MOMA in NYC which is not half so creative.

How are you processing these? In particular, is all the color there or do you bring it up some during conversion/processing. (BTW, it's OK if you want to keep your techniques "secret". 😉 )

Do you print your work? Show it? If not, then perhaps think about doing so. 

1 hour ago, Andrea B. said:

I LOVE these !!

Very creative !! I've seen abstract photographic work at MOMA in NYC which is not half so creative.

How are you processing these? In particular, is all the color there or do you bring it up some during conversion/processing. (BTW, it's OK if you want to keep your techniques "secret". 😉

Do you print your work? Show it? If not, then perhaps think about doing so. 

Thank you Andrea.  Colour is 'there' "in camera" (in live view) but the 'live view' is the jpeg created by the camera. The jpegs are not post processed - they're deleted.

Only the RAW (DNG) files are post processed. I've no real idea how others see the colours because I'm classified as 'totally colour blind' - but there is no such thing as total colour blindness ... it's a misnomer ... we all see colours differently. I see colours but not so many as seen by other people. 

It's an ongoing experiment. The objective was / is to record the birefringent stress/refraction patterns in the thee dimensional woven plastic media ... thus hopefully creating more interesting patterns than the essentially two dimensional plastic rulers, set squares, and protractors cross polarised patterns frequently illustrated in photography magazines. 

The temptation is make too complex 'weaves' when the media 'behaves' – but 'simpler weaves' appear better in cross polarised light because they're not so "busy" ... i.e., "less is more" 

I have used the FLIGHT composition in a camera club print 'league competition' but the judge did not really know what to make of it.

The CELLIST was printed for a club's  special "non-league" abstract competition and was awarded a commendation. 

I'm planning to use future 'less busy' compositions as exhibition print entries.  

It's a learning process as regards digitally produced abstracts. High failure rate when the media misbehaves and the waste bins fill up 

Many years ago three 'Velvia transparency film' abstracts,  darkroom printed on Cibachrome paper, were accepted into a local art exhibition ... as distinct from photographic exhibition. 

BW, dunk  

Whilst the technique is not new - far from that - I liked the patterns created  and 'naming' of each image. Thus a really nice and interesting achievement indeed. You should try the same with filters to learn if UV or IR appearance can be demonstrated as well.

By the way, we used ice crystal or other crystalline structures  already in the dark age of film for showing birefringence. Plastics were another favourite material, as shown below,

F970469227.jpg

Macro on 120 film. 1997. And yes, this is the 'boring' 2-D kind of examples popular in the literature. So not creative like what has been presented earlier in this thread.

The same technique was used for a quick check of the birefringence of the freshly molded CDs and later DVDs, directly from the injection molding machine.

There are many injection parameters that has to be correct for a good result. 

For more accurate numerical measurements more advanced equipment was used.

Thank you for your encouraging comments and filter suggestion. When experimenting, fresh / new 'tweaks' evolve. Each session produces something different. More 'variations' on the technique are planned. 

BW, dunk

I did a whole bunch of these awhile ago!

Some of my favorites:

Icicle cross-section:

image.jpeg.1a01e081d588b0f7ac15091ce2c3dd0d.jpeg

image.jpeg.6f63c95f7ea694a08bf0166b2de054c3.jpeg

Scotch tape:

1494310251_Scotchtapepolarization2-Mean_rescopy.jpg.54965749cec6b11048355e30ddecae49.jpg

By the way, I'm red-green colorblind myself, so while these images are pretty to me, I don't know what they look like to you or the rest of the board either. 

Thank you Andy. My current interest is exploring birefringence in 'flexible media' – but it all started with everyday solid plastics. So far have not attempted anything with ice which not keen to experiment with due to 'melting'. BW, dunk 

I can help with *ice* and cross-polarisation ....

F951205999.jpg

10X on 120 film, using the Ultra-Micro-Nikkor 28mm f/1.8.

One has to do this outdoors, in the cold, of course.

17 hours ago, Andy Perrin said:

I did a whole bunch of these awhile ago!

Some of my favorites:

Icicle cross-section:

image.jpeg.1a01e081d588b0f7ac15091ce2c3dd0d.jpeg

image.jpeg.6f63c95f7ea694a08bf0166b2de054c3.jpeg

Scotch tape:

1494310251_Scotchtapepolarization2-Mean_rescopy.jpg.54965749cec6b11048355e30ddecae49.jpg

By the way, I'm red-green colorblind myself, so while these images are pretty to me, I don't know what they look like to you or the rest of the board either. 

Andy,

The second one is a red oven mit with an icicle on a wood cutting board. 

That's what it looks like to me.

:😜 

I think I also have that exact red square oven mit thing.

@dunksargentthese are inspirational. All the bends and loops are mesmerizing. You really should exhibit them. 

@Andy Perrinand @nfotothe ice images are fascinating. I've seen lots of plastic based photos, but rarely ice. I do remember seeing Andy's icicle. Great thread everyone.

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

18 hours ago, nfoto said:

I can help with *ice* and cross-polarisation ....

10X on 120 film, using the Ultra-Micro-Nikkor 28mm f/1.8.

One has to do this outdoors, in the cold, of course.

4 hours ago, Doug A said:

@dunksargentthese are inspirational. All the bends and loops are mesmerizing. You really should exhibit them. 

@Andy Perrinand @nfotothe ice images are fascinating. I've seen lots of plastic based photos, but rarely ice. I do remember seeing Andy's icicle. Great thread everyone.

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

Thank you for your suggestions. Ice has potential but would be a difficult medium to work with indoors. The birefringence refraction patterns project is ongoing; one of the difficulties it presents is 'taming the plastic media' which by its nature ends up charged with static electricity and thus does not 'lay' / 'weave' where intended - but sometimes 'its own' resultant weaves generate interesting patterns. I have some ideas for controlling the media better.

This example seemed to resemble a deep sea fish, thus titled  "Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea" 

Twenty-Thousand-Leagues-Under-The-Sea-rslf.jpg.abd54477649f7a53728dd77f6cc608ff.jpg

A friend then suggested it looked like her lazy cat if rotated 180º ... so eye highlights were added to create "The Lazy Cat" 

The-Lazy-Cat-Cleaned-Up-.jpg.968920641c7d5ebf4d21dceafce24b64.jpg

And this weave evolved into "Rosette"

Rosette-9686.jpg.eff96c6575661d561d4043d80eb6f9da.jpg

Experiments will continue ... but with 'not so busy' weaves compared to these examples.

All pix achieved using a Leica X Vario APS-C fixed zoom compact camera. 

BW, dunk 

21 hours ago, dabateman said:

Andy,

The second one is a red oven mit with an icicle on a wood cutting board. 

That's what it looks like to me.

:😜 

I think I also have that exact red square oven mit thing.

:Eyeroll: 

Yes, to show what the icicle looked like before cutting! (I am pretty sure I inherited that oven mit thing)

On 1/31/2023 at 10:08 AM, dunksargent said:

Birefringence patterned abstracts created via cross polarised transilluminated woven plastic media

... this was the very first attempted digital abstract image using the technique – as distinct from using Velvia film. 

A work in progress.

BW, dunk

Marvelous images!  Thank you for sharing and inspiration!

1 minute ago, Akira said:

Marvelous images!  Thank you for sharing and inspiration!

Thank you Akira. Planning to attempt more experiments soon.  BW, dunk  

quick comment - fwiw,  I don't think the "weaves" are too busy. 😄

In honor of this and previous very cool birefringence topics, I'm going to open a Birefringence Album in the Visitor's Gallery. I will make a topic elsewhere to call for submissions.

21 hours ago, Andrea B. said:

quick comment - fwiw,  I don't think the "weaves" are too busy. 😄

In honor of this and previous very cool birefringence topics, I'm going to open a Birefringence Album in the Visitor's Gallery. I will make a topic elsewhere to call for submissions.

Thank you Andrea and look forward to seeing additional submissions. BW, dunk  

• 5 months later...
dunksargent

I am planning to resume birefringence imaging experiments using various translucent media in the autumn when can again work in total darkness. Unfortunately the media used can be 'noisy' to use at night time and the noise could disturb my neighbour after midnight (thin walls). Also planning to use a different camera which should enable shorter exposures.    BW, dunk