UltravioletPhotography

Tidepools

microbat52

Well I merged two things I love. The light is a UVBeast mini (365nm, filtered). 

The camera is an olympus TG5 ( waterproof).

Kept exposures to critters quick and observed for any behaviour changes.

Some things I observed:

- Fish did not react ( or fluoresce) to the UV but were annoyed at my (visible) headlamp.

- Starfish did not fluoresce. 

- Crabs seemed to react to the UV more than to my headlamp so I avoided them. Ive read about deep sea crabs seing UV but I think shore crabs might do too. 

- Annemones not sure. Some seemed to be slightly bothered about my proximity. They didnt react aggressively (these anemones are super territorial and will fight eachother) or differently to UV and I think ive seen them in black light in the aquarium. But I kept it short just in case. They glow green AND RED but my camera barely picked up the red sadly.

- Limpets, mussels, shrimp, algae, chitons and more are a feast to the eyes of oranges, reds and pinks and blues. 

- Shrimp and sea urchins didnt mind me in visible or UV and were very active at night.

Edit to upload at higher resolution @Andy Perrin

P1251971.JPG.3b8ff001e2f0faf50ebe81f1a0f339e6.JPG

P1252049.JPG.5c00a56494fa0f7723f69be0cc523413.JPG

P1252086.JPG.1d30d3e66f49041161e8f1bb68a7ba09.JPG

P1251978.JPG

Thanks! 

I was trying to figure out yesterday what the uv intensity of my torch is compared to the sun so I can be confident Im keeping the exposure short enough. But most of what I found here seems to be around UVC.

I need to do some math after coffee kicks in. 

FANTASTIC pictures, I love this so much. I wonder if using a filtered flash might be a good next step. The duration would be even shorter so maybe less likely to bug them in any long-term way?

By the way, would it be possible to see a higher resolution version of these? Like around 2000px width? I wanted to see details...

2 hours ago, Andy Perrin said:

FANTASTIC pictures, I love this so much. I wonder if using a filtered flash might be a good next step. The duration would be even shorter so maybe less likely to bug them in any long-term way?

By the way, would it be possible to see a higher resolution version of these? Like around 2000px width? I wanted to see details...

Let me try later when im in my computer see if i can upload the originals. Cant promise great detail, the camera is just a small point and shoot and as a first attempt I could not be bothered with a tripod and figuring settings.

Re flash, mmm i dont know, interesting idea. I got some old strobes in a fundraising auction ive been meaning to play with, but havent had the chance to even figure how (or if) they work.

Very nice.

I like them a lot, especially now when they are posted at the higher resolution.

Some images deserve that and these definitely do.

Wow, these are really cool! Thanks for posting.

Is that a shrimp in the first photo?

1 hour ago, Andrea B. said:

Wow, these are really cool! Thanks for posting.

Is that a shrimp in the first photo?

Yup! I see a lot of heptacarpus shrimp in these tidepools, they come in different colors, these are kind of translucent. 

I know some shrimp see UV, wonder about this kind. But maybe being able to see it doesn’t mean they are bothered by it. 

1 minute ago, Andy Perrin said:

I know some shrimp see UV, wonder about this kind. But maybe being able to see it doesn’t mean they are bothered by it. 

Interesting. Yeah these guys didnt seem bothered by either my visible or my UV light. They were all out and about having dinner. 

The crabs on the other hand would run and hide. They did it both with white and UV.  Guess I dont really have enough data to say it was worse but since their reaction was strong enough I just made sure to avoid them.