UltravioletPhotography

HOW TO: Change embedded image link to an uploaded image.

Andrea B.

I will probably in the very near future turn off the capability to show an image via embedding an image link from Flickr, Twitter, SmugMug or any other image website.

Such images are so often lost when the remote website goes away or changes its file system. Or when the image poster drops a membership in a remote website and their account (with images) is removed. 

If you have some embedded link images here on UVP, then perhaps you might like to work on uploading them so that they are permanently a part of UVP? This is, of course, not mandatory. But it is a good thing to do for your favorite website, yes? 😄

• First send me a PM requesting temporary editing privileges for old topics.
  • Find an embedded image link and drag the image off the page onto your desktop. Rename the dragged file if needed or if you want to. 
  • Engage edit mode for the topic.
    • Delete the embedded image link.
    • Pull the offloaded image file onto the "Drag files here to attach" area.
    • Put the cursor into the text wherever you want to place the image.
    • Click insert on the image file border.
    • Save via Submit Topic.

If you have a lot of embedded image links, you don't have to change them all at once if you don't have time. Just try to change a few of the more recent ones. There's no particular rush on this.

I was going to say, that even better, I have all my images linked from a dedicated gallery on Zenfolio, that can be downloaded all at a time bulk with a single command. However I was not aware of the ability to drag a linked image, seems just as easy when done one at a time - one keeps learning. A couple of proposals are in the work though so this will have to wait for calmer times.

Edit: A second thought and minor point though is that by doing the bulk download, I will retain more informative file names. The dragging method causes them all to have a a p+number name.

Don't know how many embedded images are there, but wouldn't it be possible to do this procedure automatically in the sense that the images will be added at the end of the post which includes the embedded link?

Am sure that some tech-savvy person would be able to write such a script, not me, alas, just thinking it ought to be possible 🤔

Or would this be an issue of rights if this was done without explicit permission?

Otoien: A second thought and minor point though is that by doing the bulk download, I will retain more informative file names. The dragging method causes them all to have a a p+number name.

The actual filename is seen only by the owner who is uploading it (or has uploaded it) when the topic is in edit mode. The filename of the stored image is changed by the forum software to reference the topic in which it is posted.

As an example --

My file name:  diclipteraResupinataVisSun_042513desBotGardPhoenixAZ_9507proofPnCrop2.jpg

Stored file name: post-4-0-72130100-1370978278.jpg

StephanN:  Don't know how many embedded images are there, but wouldn't it be possible to do this procedure automatically?

It is easy enough to query the database to get a list of remote photos. But pulling such a remote photo into UVP's upload is where we would run into trouble. I don't think that can be easily automated?

10 hours ago, Andrea B. said:

StephanN:  Don't know how many embedded images are there, but wouldn't it be possible to do this procedure automatically?

It is easy enough to query the database to get a list of remote photos. But pulling such a remote photo into UVP's upload is where we would run into trouble. I don't think that can be easily automated?

Puh, tbh, I don't know. From the geeks/nerds around here one always hears that they use all sorts of tools like grep, awk, php, perl, ssh, powershell, etc. to work miracles, so was just an idea. (I imagine one would have to bypass the manual upload somehow, if the target direktory is known).

Probably not worth the effort unless there is already some tool, which does exactly what would be required. Presumably people like the ones responsible for the php-upgrade would have the expertise, but, hm, ... You might end up with no photos at all 😉

I do have all those tools and know how to use them.* But I'm simply missing the knowledge about how to copy a remote linked photo to some local directory. Given that one can drag the remote image off a UVP post onto the desktop, we know there has to be a way to code that.

The technical challenge is fascinating, so I might continue to look into this. It would be very cool to know how to do this.

* To be clear, after so many years away from actual tech work, I am beginning to forget some stuff. Like any language, if you don't use it, you lose it!

lukaszgryglicki

But I'm simply missing the knowledge about how to copy a remote linked photo to some local directory

wget https://some-fancy-server/link-to-image.jpg -O /path/to/save/locally/image-name.jpg

Thanks man!! I knew there must be something 

Now I'll check whether I have permission to actually use this command in the Admin terminal.

• 8 months later...
On 1/24/2023 at 10:53 PM, otoien said:

I was going to say, that even better, I have all my images linked from a dedicated gallery on Zenfolio, that can be downloaded all at a time bulk with a single command. However I was not aware of the ability to drag a linked image, seems just as easy when done one at a time - one keeps learning. A couple of proposals are in the work though so this will have to wait for calmer times.

Edit: A second thought and minor point though is that by doing the bulk download, I will retain more informative file names. The dragging method causes them all to have a a p+number name.

I finally took the time to replace all images linked from my Zenfolio site with uploads. There were only a couple of images in my UV photo source folders that I could not find any posts for; I am attaching them here as a reminder in case they should surface. Both are from my D40x IR-720nm - the second one an effort to show the fresnel pattern of my 300 f/4 PF, incidentally a nice shape echo. 😄

While I have been careful in avoiding broken links to my Zenfolio images (which have been very stable over time), the situation with legacy Zenfolio accounts have lately become worse and close to unaccepable as galleries that have not been modified for the last 14 months get copied to an archive server and images deleted from the gallery!  😵  While galleries can be unarchived, it is not automatic, and can take up to  12 hours. This would not be an immediate problem for my linked images that are kept in a limited dedicated galleries that are easily kept fresh though. I have also found that a way to bulk refresh modified dates on galleries by making modifying the access back and forth so I can keep up for a while, but my relationship to Zenfolio is getting to the point where I consider a switch. My UVP images would now not be affected  but It would (if at all possible) require a lot of work to edit links in posts on other sites.

2012-09-04-2335X-2955-md.jpg.48a9122368edf6250b39ac5557044f63.jpg

2017-03-28-1638X-4569-md.jpg.a014148eb90b65bc2bfa507297e2c5d4.jpg