UltravioletPhotography

Most powerful IR flashlight?

lukaszgryglicki

lukaszgryglicki

Hi, I just wonder anybody knows a most powerful IR flashlight?

I ask because I recently bought visible light flashlight - very powerful with 4 diodes, it cost about $70, weights about 0.5kg and can be charged via USB-C. It has adjustable lens and seems to provide a VERY powerful light output, slightly resembling a laser when I adjust it for maximum range. 

I wonder if there is any such a flashlight with a similar power (or ideally 10 times more) but with 808nm diodes or 940nm diodes? Can be custom made... maybe just the same host, batteries and then just a different set of diodes?

I would like to buy such a flashlight, can be up to $700, but ***NOT*** chinease *sh**it* - all I want is just fair specs, no lies.

Anybody knows such? Or a similar visible, most powerful one and then a company which can replace visible diodes, say 10000 lumens with a very similar IR ones?

Incandescent will put out a lot more power in IR than most LED lights. Find yourself an old-fashioned incandescent gunlight (the type boasting million-candlepower output) and cover the front with a visible blocking filter such as 87C gelatin (if that won't melt from the heat--but there are probably alternatives.)

lukaszgryglicki

I mean in this area there is too much stuff - I want something that is most powerful possible, no matter the cost - something like 1 kW flashlight - but no lies, no fake specs. I just want (here) sheer power, if there really is 1 kW light source (or more) then I want it. It is hard to find real power not just chinease lies so I just ask for any name/url that will make it possible to look for a very very very powerful light source broadband.

If you can live with mains powering a slide projector will put out a lot of optical power.

The lamps are in the region of 150-300W

They used to, and probably still do, sell halogen spotlights. There's no lying where blackbody radiation is concerned. Hot solid (or liquid) objects have the Planck blackbody spectrum and at the right temperature it will make a ton of IR. (Typically the peak will swing towards visible with more power, but the portion of the light that's in IR will continue to increase in watts, even though the peak is elsewhere and it's brighter in visible. A rising tide floats all boats.) 

Edit: Something like this:

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-5891915/cyclops-c18mil-colossus-18-million-candlepower-12v-handheld-halogen-spotlight.jsp

Important that it be halogen, not LED.

If using in the studio, look for ianiro varibeam 2000w (variable beam focus)

or Hedler De-Luxe 2000w
They use 220V quartz bulbs of 1000 or 2000 w 3200°K

(those 3400°K cost more and don't last long)

Hah, that will sure run up the electric bill, photoni! 😆

Don’t burn down the house, Lukas. Even using a 600W halogen, I came close to setting some of my early SWIR experiments on fire. That was a major reason why I decided to buy the Triwave and stop messing around with the fluorescent screen method. 

lukaszgryglicki

Thanks for many useful links, I think I like "Cyclops C18MIL Colossus 18 Million Candlepower 12V Handheld Halogen Spotlight".

7 minutes ago, lukaszgryglicki said:

Thanks for many useful links, I think I like "Cyclops C18MIL Colossus 18 Million Candlepower 12V Handheld Halogen Spotlight".

It is based on old technology Lead acid batteries that might be difficult to get in the future fi they need to be replaced.

I also think that the mains charging voltage is 110V, but they might have 230V versions.