UltravioletPhotography

Nikon Z5 full spectrum white balance preview

maikm

On 12/9/2022 at 7:07 AM, maikm said:

You know what? I just made a successful WB on the Z5 with 720nm filter against green screen (RGB 153/255/153), the camera accepted the measurement, and to be honest this is working pretty well for regular daylight, even without much WB fine tuning added!

...yeah, that's a coincidence. Even the room lighting may have affected the results, since the screen sure isn't putting out much IR. 

I remembered that grass trick from the Olden Days.

I pretty sure I've been there and done that for quite a lot of UV/IR by now. La!!!!!

Except for UV-C. I have not been there or done that!

This is not to say that I by any means I know everything UV/IR.

I am quite sure I do NOT know everything about UV/IR.

But I have all you Very Cool & Wonderful Members to help discover new tricks and techniques.

You have all made excellent contributions.

-->> Please Note:  I do not truly remember for certain whether the grass trick requires a filter on the lens or whether the lens should go filterless. 

As always, Experiment !! ....and Play....and maybe Think....

BTW, when you are making White Balance measurements against a monitor, you can't worry too much about ambient light. The idea is just to get the WB moved in the general direction you need. Then refine from there by adjusting along the blue/yellow axis &/or magenta/green axis.

Andrea, no IR means no IR. Nothing to white balance against. This trick could work for visible light filters, but anything he got with IR filter on is vis leakage. I would think a bit of the visible red makes it through an R72. Thinking is definitely required…

I mean, if it gets the white balance you want, then I’m sure there is no reason to object to making use of a coincidence, but I wonder how repeatable this is (much less reproducible by other members).

In the mean time you could try the snow. With my D40x, the green grass WB turns out very neutral on snow.

Watch out for shooting though any glass window though, it seem to take out some IR and turn colors towards the red.