UltravioletPhotography

Macro: I think I have reached the limit.

colinbm

I think I have reached the limit, with this macro rail, camera & lens.

20x macro is demanding, 20mp Sigma fp, Canon 20mm f3.5 on 430mm tubes & the Nisi macro rail, have done their service admirably, for single shots.
There is just too much flexing & vibrations in the system for photo stacking.
A much sturdier & refined system is needed if I want to see the structure of 'Structural Colour', I think.
Here is my latest photo with the set-up I have, it is a single shot of a steel ruler showing a 1mm division.
It shows a lot of dirt particles, that aren't apparent to the eye.

2022 11 09 20x FP000800-Sharpen text web.jpg

What software do you use for the stacking? Zerene can align images surprisingly well, but of course, the optimal approach is to have the minimum possible of flexing and vibration.

20X is a challenge as you have found out. I find it easier to do the capture in a vertical orientation as vibrations seem to better under control. Two-point support is mandatory and one should decouple the rig from floor-induced vibrations as well.

Thanks Birna & thanks for helping all along this journey with me.
Yes I have Zerene.
I spread the load over two tripods to get this image.
My house is built on a concrete slab, so is well connected to Earth & I am in a very quiet col-da-sac street.

I haven't given up, but every thing needs a major revision.

Is a 20mp bayer camera enough ?

4 hours ago, colinbm said:

Thanks Birna & thanks for helping all along this journey with me.
Yes I have Zerene.
I spread the load over two tripods to get this image.
My house is built on a concrete slab, so is well connected to Earth & I am in a very quiet col-da-sac street.

I haven't given up, but every thing needs a major revision.

Is a 20mp bayer camera enough ?

I think so. You do have signs of vignetting in your system already, so the 20MPix cannot be fully utilised anyway.

Personally I consider the tripod(s) to be the obvious weakest link in your setup. If you can find a robust slate of hardwood or similar, put the camera rig there using screws or similar, no head and a solid connection. Adjustments to the specimen should be done at the specimen holding stage and the macrorail should be there to allow fine focusing.

Thanks Birna

So if I back off on the magnification a bit like to 15x & my Sigma fp with 20mp I should be able to see the structure of the iridescence of this beetle & butterflies etc ?
I am trying to justify a xyz stage, & build a solid table ?

The Canon lens is not an infinite focus design, so its image circle should increase with magnification. Implying the vignetting might not be due to  the lens, but obstacles somewhere within the optical path.

In terms of optical performance, the old Canon is a surprisingly good performer Coatings are inferior to modern designs however, thus make sure the lens is well shielded from any point light sources which could cause flare. Image contrast will be moderate but can easily be enhanced in post processing.

Old enlargers can often be had for next to nothing and their baseboard might be sturdy enough to recirculate as a photomacrographic foundation.

Thanks again Birna.

I will check the baffles I placed inside the tube, one could have moved when I re-arranged things.
I will do a more sturdy re-build & I will have to wait for some more parts, so will be a while before any updates.
I have persisted with the horizontal arrangement as I have my lights adjustable for that orientation & some of the UV lights are big & heavy. It would mean that I would need a step ladder to use the camera.

As long as the camera rig is perfectly stationary and clamped to a base board, the orientation should be all right. As I mentioned previously, my subjects often dictate a horizontal setup. The main point is that the rig is really well locked down to its foundation and thus immovable. Adjustments are left to the subject

holder(s) instead.

Can your camera be remotely operated? If so you could examine the framing and focusing on your computer and alleviate the requirement for a step ladder 🙂

Thanks Birna
I woke up with a new plan.
A triangle is the strongest shape, so I took two rods from the back of the rack, diagonally down to the edge of the bench, to the left & right, no more shake !
I'll get back into some stacks 😃

@nfoto photo from the rear of the macro rail showing the two diagonal tie rods.
They have eliminated all shakes & vibrations.

2078011162_20221110MacroRailwithtierods.jpg.0dc4d92ba97f14359a2b6b9d8681e962.jpg

lukaszgryglicki

One idea regarding resuolution - you can try mono camera, skipping demosaic algorithm makes the resolution higher, but at the cost of color, which is something you probablyu want to keep... your setup looks awesome man!