UltravioletPhotography

Green Iridescent Jewel Beetle's Shell at over 20x Magnification.

colinbm

Green Iridescent Jewel Beetle's Shell at over 20x Magnification.
I added some baffles into a long extension tube to cut some flaring.

When I re-assembled the tubes I accidently added the remaining few extensions I had & now the tube is 430mm long !
Getting a bit out of hand, but it works ?

Canon 20mm f3.5 Macro Bellow Lens.....the little big lens that can !

Green Iridescent Beetle at over 20x Magnification.

The picture is of a 1.5mm x 1mm section of its shell.
19 stacks in Zerene Stacker with DMap.

1683200214_20221106GreenJewelBeetleZSDMaptextweb.jpg.4cbaa7989cb7195e81273d6cb27e34e9.jpg

Cool shot!  I can't say I've ever seen one in the Pacific Northwest but they might be here. Your setup performs well.

Thanks Nate
They seem to be around South East Asia.
I am trying to see more detail, maybe I over shot the mark ?

The set-up at present, 430mm tube length, gives just over 20x at 1.5mm on the full frame sensor.

709023671_20221107Canon20mmf3.5at20x.jpg.bb918183140fa208178ce65cc83b3bc9.jpg

What about moving the subject instead of the entire camera rig? That is my preferred approach from 10X onwards.

28 minutes ago, nfoto said:

What about moving the subject instead of the entire camera rig? That is my preferred approach from 10X onwards.

Birna I can't visualize how you would do that. Colin's lens needs that tube length for the magnification and the working distance would be quite thin.

What lens would you be using to move the subject,  fill the sensor and still have greater than 10x magnification? 

37 minutes ago, dabateman said:

Birna I can't visualize how you would do that. Colin's lens needs that tube length for the magnification and the working distance would be quite thin.

What lens would you be using to move the subject,  fill the sensor and still have greater than 10x magnification? 

Mitutoyo 10X and 20x objectives. Raynox or ITL tube lenses thus the entire length of the rig is much smaller than what is used for the Canon 20 here. . I put the subject on the Stackshot rail. The camera rig stays perfectly put. It never moves.

U201909092907.jpg

As many of my subjects are in water, it is preferable to shoot in a vertical position and for this I'm "recycling" one of my old Nikon Multiphot stands. The Stackshot rail is clamped to a separate stand at the rear. Fibre optics are used for illumination. The Novoflex light source can alternatively be set up for flash instead of continuous light through the fibre lines. The camera runs with an A/C adapter so I needn't worry about battery consumption of the Z7 cameras.

The conical adapter is mainly for convenience and since it is in the 'infinity space' can be dropped, but most times I just leave it there.

21 minutes ago, nfoto said:

The conical adapter is mainly for convenience and since it is in the 'infinity space' can be dropped, but most times I just leave it there.

Does it fall fast when dropped in 'infinity space'? 😀

In general it is a bad idea to drop photographic equipment.

Some of it is fragile and some items that things can land on are also fragile and expensive.

I dropped a lens mount adapter that landed on top of a 300B valve in one of my Audion Silver Night triode amplifiers.

The glass envelope in those valves is very thin and naturally broke.

As they have to be matched pairs and quite expensive, it was a double loss. 😥

I guess that the hammer is for adjusting something too? Maybe the Naim or some lens?

Funny wordplay, Ulf.

The Multiphot is used for many purposes and you never know when a hammer comes in handy ... the Naim (NaiT in this case) doesn't require that kind of rough approach, though. I stream music from my music server only when I'm setting up the shoot, not during the actual captures.

I see Birna,  you built a microscope. 

That is typical,  the subject moves in x, y, z axis and the camera and light or lasers stay perfectly still.

1 hour ago, dabateman said:

I see Birna,  you built a microscope. 

That is typical,  the subject moves in x, y, z axis and the camera and light or lasers stay perfectly still.

I would rather say it is a classic photomacrographic setup.

4 hours ago, colinbm said:

I wonder if making the tubes shorter & using a m42 2x  lens would help any Please ?

The length of your setup probably is reduced, but so presumably also would image quality.

A bit like Nfoto, I use an Aristophot Leica on a Leica Orthoplan with 3 RMS revolvers. A set of nearly 50 kg.

The Aristophot has a bellows of 63cm.

Thanks Birna, that is what I feared.
I will keep working on stability & mounting the specimen to move for stacking.