UltravioletPhotography

A monument over things happening a century ago

The current situation with Russia's aggressive invasion of Ukraine made me remember a monument after another war.

https://sv-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/Invalidmonumentet?_x_tr_sl=sv&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

501261539__DSC3085S.jpg.6c0c997eeb3d0fa96ecb0119dc9ec7b0.jpg

The eagle at the top crying silently over it's fallen mate.

On one side of the stone pillar is inscribed " Longing became their inheritance ". 

And on the other side, " In memory of the soldiers who on their way home from captivity here found their grave 1915-1918 "

On the rear side there is also a bronze plate engraved with the names of the ones that died here, on their way home and where they came from.

I was so moved by the environment and monument that I failed to focus properly for many shots.

My mum showed me this place some 25 years ago.

As a small girl she visited he maternal grandparents that lived close by this cemetery with the monument. 

When returning to the monument for the first time, last Sunday I realised that the monument is sitting rather crowded by hedged in grave lots.

It is difficult to photograph properly.

I tried to take several photo-sets for stitching.

All of them were out of focus.😪 95 shots wasted.

The one I posted here above was one of the three last single shots that came out OK.

When I started from home the day was unusually nice and mild for the season, with a clear sky. 

I remember hoping for some IR-dark or black sky in the images.

When I arrived, some 40km later, at the monument, the temperature dropped fast and the sky got very hazy, obscuring the sun and blue sky completely.

The day quickly went from nice and sunny to gloomy, matching the location well.

I tried to shake off the feelings I got there, by the location and weather, but obviously failed.

I also felt sad all evening afterwards, when processing the photos.

I felt that I must share at least one of them.

War and conflicts with people maiming and killing each other is so WRONG!