UltravioletPhotography

Focotar 2

Doppler9000

I just got this Focotar-2 lens from a Japanese seller on eBay.  I hope I didn’t over-pay.  There were lots of references to them being rare and expensive, but no quantification.

F5E4C969-2D37-4AA0-92B9-C6B314BED2AB.jpeg

There was not many of them made, less than 8000:

https://wiki.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Focotar_-_2_1:4.5_/_50_mm.

The one you bought looks to be in an excellent condition, so I think the price was OK..

If you look at the rear there is a small serial number engraved, that is a bit difficult to see as it is the same matte black as the flat circular surface where it is engraved on.

From the number you can see what year it was produced.

An even more rare lens is the Focotar II 100mm, but that is not passing much deeper UV.

Congratulations for the purchase, I also received my Focotar II very MINT.

I think the numbers are incomplete, I have a number 3120583.

I received the Leitz 36mm Clamp-on Filter and the step-up ring 33mm x 0.5mm to 52mm.

The step up ring 33x0.5mm -52 fits well into the clamp 36mm with the filter removed but does not screw.

Either I have a ring made, or I put good glue, the step down 43-37 surrounds the clamp well to increase the glued surfaces. I read Steve's recommendations, Thanks.

No problem on the back, I have rings and bellows with my EL-Nikkor: 80, 105 and 50.

Putting the filter on the back between the lens and the body is very easy with the BR2A and BR3 rings for a test, but not practical to change as with Manfrotto Xume on the front.

Thank you all for your valuable advice.