UltravioletPhotography

Hello from New England!

Chris Culpepper

Chris Culpepper

Hello! Glad to be a part of the forum!

I got into the world of full spectrum photography by way of Infrared. I converted a Canon EOS RP mirrorless myself (Wasn't that bad!, and I kept the hot mirror filter for use with a printed holder), and have been playing around with filters. both UV and IR  for art and science.

The current filter and style I've been enamored with has been the Midwest Optical Triple Bandpass TB550/660/850, as well as infrared on 35mm film with a 720nm filter.

I've been less successful with the UV side of the world for art, but I've been able to look at dye and chemical differences at work for some valuable information. My biggest issue has been getting enough light for not noisy images. With the wealth of information on the forum though, I'm hoping to safely use and modify some strobes.

Excited to be here!

Chris

IMG_9625-Edit.jpg

IMG_9652-Edit.jpg

Chris Culpepper
On 9/20/2022 at 3:05 AM, Nate said:

Welcome Chris, I'm curious how the RP performs in UV, that's like the Lambo compared to my Corolla Canons

Hi Nate! I've attached a photo I just took tonight with the Baader U UV filter filter with an older sunflower as subject, using a cheap flash as a light source. I did have to bump up the ISO to ISO 6400, so it's a little noisy. I can only compare it to the Nikon D40 I had before, where the RP handily beats it. IF you want to see other samples, let me know what, and I can try to take some more!

On 9/20/2022 at 4:03 AM, Doug A said:

Welcome Chris. I like your images. Are they with the Midwest Optical filter? Looking forward to more images and posts.

Thanks,

Doug A

They are with the Midwest Optical filter, I got lucky on Ebay with a small, cheap one that only just covers the front element of my lens. I think the IR is a little too hot, which ends up with the channel swapped Red layer being a little over exposed.

IMG_9979.jpg

Looks great Chris, First thing I do before taking pictures of subjects is take a photo to get the white balance correct. I use some grey plumbers tape wrapped on a card glued in an old cd case. Just take a pic of the card with the filters, lens and the same light source you'll be using for your subject, and set that to custom wb.  I'm sure the RP has it in the settings. When processing, the raw files usually show up with the correct White balance. 

Here's what I made, I used regular white plumbers tape for a long time, but easier to over expose, so switched to grey.

I learned this from the members on UVP

Capture.PNG.1721a35854a741398dae0ca8664b4ac6.PNG