UltravioletPhotography

Kind regards from southern Germany

jscff

Hi everybody!

First of all - thank you to Andrea and Birna for creating and running this forum, accepting my application and thank you to everybody contributing. I have already gained so much knowledge by browsing the forum and the quoted ressources.

My name is jon. I am from southern Germany. I was born in a very rural area, so I like creeks, trees, birds and bees. In school I was introduced to August Sander by an art teacher,  who hooked me onto photography.  Later I found Sebastiao Salgado. I liked the movie "The Assassination of Jesse James" and learnt about the appeal of "Scheimpflug" and imperfect lenses. I always strived to emulate old wet plate portraits. I started with portrait photography, was frustrated, moved to landscape. Sold my Nikon (it was a Fuji S5), my Sinar C2, held onto the Mamiya 645 1000s and bought into Fuji X. Then did nothing for about ten years.

Now I enjoy nature photography. Mainly woodlands, but I also experiment. Like others I aquired a photomacrography rig, which is nice, but I am not patient enough it seems. Then I remembered my goal to emulate wet plate. Tried it digitally, bought a small technical camera (SWEBO TC 18). Failed. Read about it, found the articles by Lundphotography, remembered full-spectrum-conversions were a thing. I found the threads by photoni. I send my old Fujifilm X-E1 away for a conversion, bought a KolariVision UV Filter as well as the 50 and 80 mm EL Nikkors and a 35mm f3.5 Ennalyt as well as some used filters over ebay (Schott BG 3/18/25/39 among others). I read threads by Ulf about spectrophotometry and found the experiments by Dmitry and others. I also found people doing RasperryPi based Spectrophotometers, so I went down this route as well. I still have to finish this endeavour, but I wanted to share my 3d printed adapter solution with you.

So now I joined to give something back to the community and also hoping to someday share a proper result of my search for digital wet-plate photographs.

Kind regards,

Jon

Welcome, 

I don't think photoni has achieved the desired look yet. Others have cut out the blue channel from an image taken with a Bg3 filter. But photoni has actually made a specific wet plate formulation,  that I think he is trying to do digitally.  I hope he gets there.

I look forward to seeing some of your images. 

Yeah, the ultimate wet plate simulation is still up for grabs, although photoni made great progress. He knows the most here about wet plate.

On 9/14/2022 at 7:42 PM, jscff said:

Then I remembered my goal to emulate wet plate. Tried it digitally, bought a small technical camera (SWEBO TC 18). Failed

@jscff the best emulation is a $ 0.99 APP ...  TinType by Hipstamatic
but does not take into account the shift in sensitivity (exclude reds and yellows more sensitive to blue and UV)

link previous post of the Hibiscus  LINK

with a full spectrum camera technically is enough a BG25 + BG39 (2mm) my tests with sunflower flowers prove it.

What is missing are the randomness of the unique and unrepeatable defects of the wet plate,

the low depth of field comparable to an 85mm f0.9 lens on a full frame mirrorless.

. orange Ibisco with Tintype APP with iPhone X

1812496237_MyTinTypebyHipstamatic-.jpg.5575838d0056073e99cc9dc8a9f2e800.jpg

5 hours ago, JMC said:

Greetings Jon,

I like a few others have played around with filters to produce a 'digital collodion'. I used BG18 and BG25 combined - https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/4691-bg25-filter-garden-shots/&do=findComment&comment=47106

Enjoy the forum.

Jonathan

YES Jonathan

this configuration also works with black and white photographic film LINK  (BG18 is similar to BG39)

for safety it is best to use a 2.5mm thick BG39 with BG25 at least 2mm thick.
if you don't care about deep UV, the cheapest way is QB29 + TSN575 from Tangsinuo

Hi Jon,
auch von mir ein Willkommen!
Du erwähnst "Scheimpflug"? Ist auch im UV möglich:
https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/5345-uv-photography-with-a-tilt-lens/
Viele Grüße aus dem Rheinland
Kai

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/5345-uv-photography-with-a-tilt-lens/
Greetings from the Rhineland
Kai

Thank you everybody for your very warm welcome. Also it is nice to see other Germans here. How much degress of tilt did you use @Kai? I do not have a feeling yet for tilt and swing in the aps-c realm.

And thank you @photoni @JMC for posting the forums ressources here. Maybe, once we succeed, we could collect everything in one post, so others find it more easily.

As I said, I already acquired a lot of the stuff that Toni and Jonathan among others were finding suitable to emulate wet plate. With a tiltable view camera setup like the swebo and vintage lenses (Zeiss Kipronar and a Helios 44-2 among others) I hope I will be able to get the look of the slitghly decentered optics and the cameras which a not completely parallel. Of course I will not be able to get the randomness of the borders and the liquid spill and scratch marks etc. But to me, this is not as important.

My first trials using the spectroscope look promising. Both BG18 and BG 25 seem to cut out the reds well. If I stack them it looks a bit too blue (I dont see any red coming through). But some trials will show more.

I will report back.

On 9/23/2022 at 10:46 PM, jscff said:

How much degress of tilt did you use @Kai? I do not have a feeling yet for tilt and swing in the aps-c realm.

I mainly use the lens on the EOS 6D. Depending on the subject, I make maximum use of the tilt option. I haven't tested it on the EOS 500D...