UltravioletPhotography

Ludwigia octovalvis [Narrow-leaf Water Primrose]

dancingcat

Frary, S.C. (2022) Ludwigia octovalvis (Jacq.) P.H. Raven (Onagraceae) Narrow-leaf Water Primrose.  Photographed in ultraviolet and visible light.

Collected: 7 September 2022, creek bed margin, Waxahachie, Texas, USA.  Voucher deposited at the Botanical Research Institute of Texas, S. C. Frary [156].

Other Common Names:  Mexican Primrose-willow, Seedbox

Comment:  Not native to the US but commonly found along the Gulf of Mexico coast and inland southern US wetlands. Considered invasive in Florida.  Pretty 4-petalled yellow flower with very strong UV dark center.  Grows with roots submerged in shallow water, up to about 1 foot tall.  A very nice late summer wetlands wildflower.

Reference: Texas A&M University AquaPlant Database

Equipment [Olympus EM1mk2-broadband + Olympus 30mm f/3.5 macro]

In-Situ [iPhone]

1571750779_ludwigiaoctovalvisinsitu.jpeg.4e6e7ccd9fe09684080cde2e60ce8ad2.jpeg

Visible Light [f/11, iso 640, 1”, Kolari UV/IR Cut HotMirror Pro 2 filter, ambient indoor room light, in-camera 15-image stack].

ludwigia_octovalvis_vis.jpg.938e4c19eac27e5fda861e3fe2de80e6.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/11, iso 640, 5”, BaaderU filter, Kolari UV LED, in-camera 15-image stack]  

ludwigia_octovalvis_uv.jpg.7e11743de689b116cb910f28eaf3e641.jpg

@KaJasheyI haven’t tried UV outside in situ where I probably could get false color.. we have way too much wind for long outside exposure stacks, so I take the flower indoors under an LED or a flash painting setup where I have better control.  I take these photos for teaching and usually render them in b&w to avoid the “how can you get color with a uv filter?” sort of questions.  Really don’t want to go down that rabbit hole in a class of non-physicists 😜. Its bad enough discussing what a bee might actually be rendering in its little bee brain….  I do like the Olympus in-camera stack.. its usually as good as Helicon or Zerene if the subject is relatively simple.