UltravioletPhotography

Orchid UVIVF

Andy Perrin

It was a white orchid. 

Tiffen Haze 2E filter on the unconverted Sony A7III, 365nm Nemo torch, and white balanced to taste. The tiny amount of ambient light remaining has been subtracted off. This is now my standard procedure to ensure I'm only seeing the fluorescence. It's extremely easy to do, so I recommend it to all. You just shoot an extra photo with no torch and then use Difference on the top layer in Photoshop (or equivalent in other programs).

405572987_OrchidUVIVFUVP.jpg.71976b613e6dded8b13ee24e4cf9c84c.jpg

Looks fantastic. Flower has a nice glow to it, especially the blue center. I need to try your subtraction technic.

2E filters are tough to find right now. Finally bought a Wratten gel. May mount it in a 67mm circular filter ring. Hoping it will be an improvement over my Tiffen 2A.

Thanks,

Doug A

Wayne Harridge
17 hours ago, Andy Perrin said:

Yeah the only size I could find for 2E was 77mm.

I had a look for Tiffen Haze 2E and found 72mm & 77mm but at a ridiculous price.  I'm wondering if something like 81A, 81B, 85A or 85B filters could be used to cut out the UV & violet then white balance the images.  Is there a material you can use as a WB reference for UVIVF?  I just did a visual check with an 85A filter and UV flashlight (supposed to be 365nm) illuminating some white paper which seemed to fluoresce well and the filter reduced the violet & blue quite well but not completely.

I saw the Haze 2E for $92, which doesn’t seem a lot for a 77mm filter? I think I paid more for most of my other filters (mostly Schott 52mm). 

White balance for UVIVF has been discussed many times here and NOBODY has ever found a solution that wasn’t wildly expensive. We usually white balance to taste. 

“white” paper does not fluoresce white to the eye and isn’t a suitable standard — like I said, nobody’s ever come up with something cheap. Just adjust the white balance until things look nice and relax. We have false colors everywhere else on the board anyhow!

Orchids are so intricate, always interesting.

That glowing blue edge has intrigued me. I wonder how that happens? Some pigment distribution I suppose.