UltravioletPhotography

practical ways to take UV, VIS, & IR photos of same subject using 3 filter holders , sliders, turret, etc.

what is fastest/easiest way to take visual , ir  & uv images of same subject? I'm guessing 3 different drop in filters, though some kind of filter slider or filter turret would be cool as well, if not a little bulky.
See the source image
See the source image

Well with my Sigma SD14 and Foveon sensor,  I can get simultaneously images of UV (monochrome on top blue layer), UV induced visible fluorescence on middle green layer, and UV induced IR fluorescence on lower red layer of the sensor.  You just need software to tease it out.

But I don't think that is what you were asking.

A front matched filter wheel, would be fastest, spinning through the various filters. I have tried that with a cheap Astrophotography 9 poert filter wheel and 1.25 inch filters. Works ok with a cropped sensor of a micro four thirds camera and a telephoto lens.

Yeah. I tried a stereo attachment once and posted the results here but taking simultaneous UV and IR photos requires very different exposures for the two sides and the quality sucked. I have mostly given up on that idea. 

I've put 2 cameras on a 200mm quick release plate, one on a ball head to make it higher and mounted my phone on the hot shoe of one of them for UV/vis/NIR. Used my video head and astro tripod. Looked pretty ghettoish, so never used it. Just an idea.

1 hour ago, Yves W said:

For successive shots, the Manfrotto Xume system with magnets

That is also my favourite system.

Filter changing is very fast and efficient.

12 hours ago, Andy Perrin said:

Yeah. I tried a stereo attachment once and posted the results here but taking simultaneous UV and IR photos requires very different exposures for the two sides and the quality sucked. I have mostly given up on that idea. 

maybe you just need a stronger IR filter to block out more light and incrase the IR exposure. I've only seen 1000nm filters, nothing stronger though.

The wavelength isn’t the issue, it’s the glass thickness. Yes, it could be done if proper thicknesses were available and carefully chosen. However there were also other issues, my stereo adapter was very filthy and it degraded the image quality. I couldn’t figure out how to disassemble it to clean it up. 

Good question...
In addition to moving the filters, the exposure settings and white balance also have to be adjusted!

For bee-view images I actually use two Canon 6D cameras, one FS modified for UV and one unmodified for RGB. Each with an EF 1:1.8 50mm lens. I then simply change the whole cameras on the tripod.
A big slider would make it even easier...

Of course, three cameras (plus IR) are also conceivable :)

After dropping filters on the sidewalk I made a 3d-printed turret for 52mm filters. Six positions. In addition to the filters in the turret itself you can load filters behind it and in the lens hood. The lens hood unscrews with a half a turn and you can have your UV/IR cut in there for your RGB exposures then remove it for your UV & IR exposures.

Kinda needs to be redesigned a little deeper for UV filters.

For many filters this does not seem easy to handle.

My lenses are equipped with Manfrotto Xume adapter as well as my "Lens adapter" filters, it's magnetic, fast and reliable even my Baader U, a dozen of each in 52mm. All my filters are always like this: UV or IVS, Cut IR + adapter filter Xume, no disassembly. +qq adapters available for testing.

This product becomes rare, on the link and Aliexpress I see the « Kase system » that takes the magnet technique. I don't know at all and I've had enough.

I just screw/unscrew the 3 (or more) different filters from the front of the lens.

Years of practice at doing this. But, yes, sometimes I've dropped a filter. 🤪

Years ago Birna and I discovered that the old Nikon gel filter holder, AF-1, would hold a 52mm filter in the back plate without screwing it in. So you could put screw the UV filter into the front drop-down plate. Then after making the UV photo, drop-down that filter and pop your IR-pass into the back plate. And so forth. 

This method did sometimes involve the filter falling off the back plate. 😜

But it was a fast way to change filters.

LINK chosen at random to illustrate the old Nikon AF-1 gel filter holder.

NOTE:  Sometimes the foam padding on the AF-1 can deteriorate, and it's a mess to remove. 

You know, I can't think of any method of filter changing which does not involve a possible jiggling of the camera/lens.

Why can't the inventors come up with a tunable sensor?

Then you could just dial in a bandwidth that you wanted to record.

That would be soooooooo cool!

There are LCD tunable filters, Andrea! You can indeed dial in a wavelength. They do not go down to UV however. NIR is doable. 

I did this experiment some time ago with a stereo attachment:

They do not go down to UV however.

Yes, that is why I want something better. Preferably built-in to the sensor somenow.

I spoke to Bernard yesterday, he is doing more visible Anaglyphs.

Good to hear! He hasn't been around for a while, so hope to see him back here soon.

I have several Nikon AF-1, Nfoto had offered me one in 2011 when I came to my house.

I prefer the Manfrotto Xume system, no problems and no more falling and breakage