UltravioletPhotography

Flowers in the dark (UVIVF)

Andy Perrin

Continuing with the work I did awhile back with the Queen Anne's Lace and the tree stump, I did a flower photo, UVIVF, by image subtractions to remove the street lights. 

Camera: Sony A7III unconverted

Lens: Sony GMaster FE 24mm/1.4

Torch: Nemo, with the filter it came with

Filter on camera: Tiffen Haze 2E

The final image:

1517330911_Flower1UVP.jpg.4508ceb7326238a4eaea8001de5cc070.jpg

The image with fluorescence + streetlights (contrast is deliberately low here to keep pixels from saturating):

1604095908__DSC7266-MaxUVP.jpg.88dd70b4eca835ffd722b9fe46198a4a.jpg

The image with just streetlights:

1827876235__DSC7268UVP.jpg.9b82fed8fe469d93a9598d1c25ca041b.jpg

Saturation and vibrance were adjusted on the final, but it does get more vibrant also just by doing the subtraction itself. Definitely try it! It's not hard. The images do need to be PERFECTLY aligned before you subtract, so that means zero wind is acceptable.

Great work Andy. Very nice final result!

Also looks like pollen or dust on the flower to make it look like you cut it down and imaged in your basement dark room like the rest of us. 

Photoni, can’t say I’m a fan of that animation. It is too blinky, that hurts to look at. 😢 I’m glad you like the picture though!

20 minutes ago, Andy Perrin said:

Photoni, can’t say I’m a fan of that animation. It is too blinky, that hurts to look at. 😢 I’m glad you like the picture though!

👍

Zowie, what a colorful result. I like. Your subtraction technic works splendidly. Must have taken quite a bit of time get two matching, windless, photos. Well done.

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

24 minutes ago, Doug A said:

Zowie, what a colorful result. I like. Your subtraction technic works splendidly. Must have taken quite a bit of time get two matching, windless, photos. Well done.

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

Actually not at all! At night the wind is much calmer than during the day, just in general (no sunshine = no heating the ground, and ground heating is the major reason we have wind since hot air rises). Also the flower was low down and somewhat sheltered too. I did another photo of it from further away, and I'll post it later.

Here is the larger photo. I left a bit of the background (didn't subtract everything) because I thought it improved the picture.

Flower 2 try 2 UVP.jpg