UltravioletPhotography

Manor house of Budmerice

Unscenerie

Greetings,

I'm sharing with you my latest UV creation, an architecture photo of a manor house in Budmerice, Slovakia.

Built in 1889
Style: pseudo-gothic
Original owner: Ján Pálffy

The owner had the house built for himself and his wife. The house was used for hunting game, such as pheasant.

I used a FS Sony A7 mk.1 with Chinese (Tangsinuo) ZWB1 (3mm - I know... too thick) + TSN575. Soligor 35mm f/3.5 (M42 mount, helicoid, thin M42-Sony E adapter).

Post processing was done purely in the Photoshop raw editor. Took me several days and multiple tries to achieve a golden look. Played with the color mixer tool, color balance, etc.

received_730293608262103.jpeg

Wow, that's quite a house to be used only as a hunting lodge! More like a castle.

An interesting -- and different -- finish for a reflected UV photograph. I like to see these alternate presentations. Nice! 😀

Now I have to go look up the equivalencies to ZWB1 and TSN575. I have been *lazy* about getting that memorized. 😜

Thanks everyone!

Andrea, the place seems like a multifunctional building - in fact, in recent decades, Slovak writers inhabited the manor house and used it for inspiration. Most recently, refugees were welcomed there for shelter.

About the filters, Photoni has used and tested both of the filters on UVP in 2022 - however, for some reason, I received a 3mm thick version of ZWB1 - I should've inquired about the order before I placed it. 

Link to my ZWB1 : https://www.ebay.com/itm/274394021287

Link to TSN575 : https://www.ebay.com/itm/275226575209?hash=item4014c84169:g:fucAAOSw2tliqvWm

(I guess Tangsinuo doesn't sell it on its own anymore.)

I'm attaching a VIS photo for reference and my IR photo, too.

_MG_2405.jpg

Kaštieľ_Budmerice.jpg

Hmm, "Golden Look". That has me thrown off. I would much rather see the purely white balanced version of the UV with no other post processing.

Incredible building.

🙂

The UV picks out the surfaces coated with TiOpaint and distinguishes them from similarly pale surfaces.

• 5 months later...
On 7/23/2022 at 4:55 AM, OlDoinyo said:

The UV picks out the surfaces coated with TiOpaint and distinguishes them from similarly pale surfaces.

Hmm, TiO2, that's titaniun dioxide. Makes sense, the building in VIS is grey.

I encounter such phenomenon on many buildings of historical significance.

@Cadmium I'll make sure to include a white-balanced version as well.

On 7/22/2022 at 3:30 AM, Unscenerie said:

About the filters, Photoni has used and tested both of the filters on UVP in 2022 - however, for some reason, I received a 3mm thick version of ZWB1 - I should've inquired about the order before I placed it. 

Link to my ZWB1 : https://www.ebay.com/itm/274394021287

Link to TSN575 : https://www.ebay.com/itm/275226575209?hash=item4014c84169:g:fucAAOSw2tliqvWm

(I guess Tangsinuo doesn't sell it on its own anymore.)

TSN 575 is similar to BG39 - CM-500 (cuts IR very well, but cuts more UV than BG39)

can be bought alone or with ZWB2 (similar to UG1) ... this is a great stack if you use normal lenses, not as perfect as baader-U, but much cheaper

ZWB1 is similar to UG11 ~ U-340 (mine is oxidized after 10 months, I have to ask how to do it)  :-(((

On 7/21/2022 at 2:12 PM, Unscenerie said:

Post processing was done purely in the Photoshop raw editor. Took me several days and multiple tries to achieve a golden look. Played with the color mixer tool, color balance, etc.

@Unscenerie  You did a great job

Photoshop's Camera Raw is blind in white balance, you have to manually adjust the brightness and contrast of three channels
(I use Capture One, which is not perfect but more flexible)
Then I use Photoshop for post-processing

1 hour ago, photoni said:

TSN 575 is similar to BG39 - CM-500 (cuts IR very well, but cuts more UV than BG39)

can be bought alone or with ZWB2 (similar to UG1) ... this is a great stack if you use normal lenses, not as perfect as baader-U, but much cheaper

ZWB1 is similar to UG11 ~ U-340 (mine is oxidized after 10 months, I have to ask how to do it)  :-(((

Yes yes yes. 

Have you been cleaning the filters with hydrogen peroxide? I've had my filters for almost the same amount of time as you.

Once I saw some smudges (oxidation?) on one of the filters. I dripped enough hydrogen peroxide on the filter so the liquid covered the whole glass and let it sit for several minutes, and the smudge was gone. 

Those metal caps aren't that expensive on eBay. I keep my filters in those. Hopefully that with the cleaning is enough for protection.

@photoni interesting idea about adjusting contrast and brightness of individual channels.