UltravioletPhotography

Looking for small UV capable sensor glass for camera modification.

Thinking about converting a small camera to full spectrum. Camera can be converted without disassembly. If I don't replace the UV/IR filter in front of the sensor, the native camera lenses won't focus to infinity. The lenses probably don't work well with UV, but it would be nice to use them with IR. 

The original glass is .6mm x 12.6mm x 13.1 mm. Where can I order a glass sensor cover that doesn't impede UV light?

Thanks,

Doug A

You could also contact a jgs1 seller on ebay and see if they can cut that to your size. Jgs1 is the Chinese fused silica.  Jgs2 is cheaper and might also work.

Andy Perrin
59 minutes ago, Doug A said:

Appreciate the links and info@Andy Perrinand @dabateman. Having It cut to the correct size would be helpful, since I've never tried cutting glass.

Thanks,

Doug A

If you check lifepixel site, it may already be the correct dimensions for your camera.

@Andy PerrinPerrinPerrinPPerrinPerPe . Unfortunately what I need doesn't match any of the sensor glass they offer.

M 4/3 is the closest. I will have to see if the extra length will fit. Can this glass be cut with normal glass hand tools?

Thanks,

Doug A

Andy Perrin

Doug, I think trying to cut it yourself is going to be difficult unless you have lot of practice. I have tried cutting glass myself, and it's not very easy, especially when you have a small piece and you don't want to damage the surfaces. The way it works is you score the surface, and then snap it, bending away from the score. But getting a good score is harder than it seems and if you don't score evenly and straight then it will break in a jagged way, not along the score. I think an experienced person may be able to do it, but a novice doesn't have a chance in one try. The chinese made-to-order option might be best for you. 

I would contact this seller 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183780163281?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=cJp-KQK_Sli&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=RxqKLNPYQr-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

They say they do custom sizes and this listing is for 25x25mm, basically microscope cover slips. Snapping that in half might be easy for them.

Also you could contact Jason of Tangsinuo. He also seems to have some JGS1 in stock: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274256881614?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=aW1-_wTCSp-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=RxqKLNPYQr-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Thanks @dabateman.  I may go glassless first to see how the camera does with UV. Then, if everything works out, add the glass. Need to determine if the old 80mm EL-NIKKOR and lcd are up to the task.

Thanks for all the help,

Doug A