UltravioletPhotography

Moon Vis/IR/UV

I figured I'd take advantage of the clear nights I've been having and dust off some astro gear, and took some comparison Moon shots.

I used my StarAdventurer tracker and a little 102 mak scope to get the full Lunar disk in frame.  I just used my 77D with single snaps, so not the best quality, took about 10 for each and used the best one for each filter.

Processing was done in darktable

I do see a bit of a difference in the UV shot in the Mare Imbrium, some of the iron is less visible (middle upper sea)

Vis was 1/160sec, Ir was 1/80sec, and UV was 1sec

485437387_Mooncomparisonfinishedg.jpg.9a44550c7236a29cd59ebd9221737a24.jpg

1205515743_moontrichrome.JPG.2b6c38979894b92e6aa9f312816999e4.JPG

I made a trichrome from your images.

It appears as though you used some sort of structure enhancement for the UV picture though, hence the blue outline.

lukaszgryglicki

When I do trichrome I usually prefer: R, G, B -> IR, UV, Vis (so I maximize invisible spectra - eye is most sensitive to green - so I put my favorite UV there, then red follows - I put IR there and finally I leave blue for visible).

Nice Moon photos, Nate. Quality looks pretty good to me!

Fandyus, short UV wavelengths bring out more of the surface structure and details of the subject being photographed than do Visible wavelengths. Similarly Visible wavelengths bring out more structure and detail than do Infrared wavelengths. So I would bet that Nate did not do any special structure enhancements to that UV photo. 😄

Your right @Fandyus I was playing with new software and got a little carried away with editing. I do that sometimes. 

Here's the WB and exposure only versions.

Edit: better versions, just a little contrast

taco.jpg.116af95c473e5a90f5ed34619250b296.jpg

17 hours ago, Andrea B. said:

Nice Moon photos, Nate. Quality looks pretty good to me!

Fandyus, short UV wavelengths bring out more of the surface structure and details of the subject being photographed than do Visible wavelengths. Similarly Visible wavelengths bring out more structure and detail than do Infrared wavelengths. So I would bet that Nate did not do any special structure enhancements to that UV photo. 😄

Well, I was right afterall.

16 hours ago, Nate said:

Your right @Fandyus I was playing with new software and got a little carried away with editing. I do that sometimes. 

Here's the WB and exposure only versions.

75727816_allnoeditdone.PNG.522cab13cc19429cd86ec7b4f4632a1a.PNG

Thanks a lot, I did the same process, color balanced and set a white point, turns out there's little variance.

moon trichrome .JPG

Looks good @Fandyus I replaced the bare edit with a more contrast version. The first Pic in the post was too edited to show the differences better I guess. 

Thanks for the insights into your processing.

(I guessed wrong!! Happens all the time - la!)

On 7/13/2022 at 12:59 AM, Andrea B. said:

short UV wavelengths bring out more of the surface structure and details of the subject being photographed than do Visible wavelengths. Similarly Visible wavelengths bring out more structure and detail than do Infrared wavelengths.

Technically true, but at such large distances I would not expect to resolve details small enough for this to matter.