UltravioletPhotography

"Blue lagoon" - Spring melt in UVIVF

Pool of water in front of my outhouse during spring melt in early May while still somewhat dark in the night, first Visual, partly lighted by warm light from inside my cabin:

2022-05-08-0000N-1688-md.jpg.32127d3d6e22149efc3f5e67593a0ab2.jpg

Then UVIVF painted by Convoy S2+ 365nm and Tank 007TK-566, both with what is likely ZBW2 filters on the front. Since these were captured with my 12-24mm f/4 (on D500 @ f/9, ca 30 sec exposures) , I had no UV filter for the lens.

2022-05-08-0113N-1690-md.jpg.66ea224ec559191fc86038949abb0677.jpg

Another smaller meltwater pool, similar equipment, 15 sec exposure

2022-05-08-0121N-1695-md.jpg.5118c250886a89e979656b3bda1d6d89.jpg

We had a previous thread on this fluorescence a previous year, then while the water was frozen at the surface:

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/2713-frozen-outdoor/

I think the conclusion was that the fluorescence is caused by cyanobacteria, or perhaps just organic matter in the meltwater.

Thanks for the comments. The hole within the little house is way deep and would at this point in time not leak any of its  content.  🙂 . The warm color in the vis. capture is just general organic matter (humus) blended with the melt water, and will look like that everywhere.  If it had been the Blue Lagoon of  Iceland, I guess the creatures would be the elves, although they might not lend themselves to the aquatic environment.

That previous topic about the blue fluorescence was *very* interesting.

(( Is this outhouse in current use? If so, does it have a heater? An outhouse in Alaska has got to be a very chilly place in the winter! ))

You could pour a bucket of tap water (no organic materials) onto a shallow depression on the ground as a control. Does it fluoresce or not? If so, then the fluor is due to something on the ground, not in the H2O. If not, then the other fluor is indeed probably due to organic materials or cyanobacteria as you have surmised. A crude test, but it might be fun to try if you have time.

No heater in the outhouse, so if it is 40 below, it is 40 below in the outhouse. So one leans to finish ones business very quickly.  😁    And yes, I live in a "dry cabin" as many of us around here do, so it is by necessity in daily use. However it does have some very essential Styrofoam insulation on the  seat, although vapors might escape from deep below and create additional "issues". I avoided removing these and being very carful when using it for a couple of days until I could get a nice capture. This is visible light (previously posted in the Nikongear forum):

2022-01-04-1259P-55665_NIGHT-md.jpg.dab943ea10257ff5d3fb75fe4e4f2a48.jpg

Thanks Cadmium. That outhouse has a history - according the the friend I am renting my cabin from it was donated by the 2018 winner of the world's  longest sled dog race, the Iditarod. A few years ago It replaced an old one that was about to fall apart, so I was pretty happy when I got it.