UltravioletPhotography

Asclepias viridis [Green Milkweed]

dancingcat

Frary, S.C. (2022) Asclepias viridis Walter. (Apocynaceae) Green Milkweed.  Photographed in ultraviolet and visible light.

Collected: 12 June 2022, open field, Palmer, Texas, USA.  

Other Common Names:  Spider Milkweed, Green Antelopehorn

Synonyms: Acerates paniculata Decne., Anthanotis procumbens Raf., Anthanotis viridis (Walter) Raf., Asclepias longipetala Scheele, Asclepias procumbens Raf., Gomphocarpus viridis (Walter) Spreng.

Comment:  Native to the US, common in overgrazed pastures where there is plenty of light and minimal competition.  The range is the southern US and the Great Plains north to Kansas.  Host plant for the monarch butterfly (Danaus plexippus).  This species of milkweed doesn’t have “horns” in their hoods - see Asclepias subverticillata in this family topic where there is a diagram of milkweed flower parts.

Reference:
1. Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Database, University of Texas at Austin. 
2. Plants of the World Online, Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew, UK

Equipment: [Olympus EM1mk2-broadband + Olympus 30mm f/3.5 macro]

In-Situ [iPhone]

IMG_0761.JPG.882205dd800b4fc5f9a0f5ba932a23c8.JPG

Visible Light [f/8, iso 640, 0.8”, Kolari UV/IR Cut HotMirror Pro 2 filter, ambient indoor room light. Zerene 15-image stack.]

20220613-2022-06-13-04_59.20_ZS_retouched-2.jpg.1d453845cbfcc03f0057ea947209316c.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/11, iso 640, 5”, BaaderU filter, Kolari UV LED.]  

20220613-_6130118.jpg.aab2c0aa6b11bd38a482b152c40c0c7e.jpg

Very unusual! I've never seen green milkweed before.

It has a fascinating UV signature. I spotted those 5 tiny white dots in the center right away.

2 hours ago, Andrea B. said:

I spotted those 5 tiny white dots in the center right away.

I think they are reflections of the "honey" of the point light

unfortunately are not photographed with the same type of light

Vis is very soft in shade , UV is sharp and contrasted

@dancingcat UV photos are spectacular and sharp as always

P.S. if I had money I would have my Z5 modified, with a "Gabale Megadap MTZ11" adapter all lenses become autofocus, and I could use focus stacking

@photoni thank you.   There’s a lot of milkweed blooming now in the family pasture.. it’s pretty sturdy against our usual windy conditions so will try to get in situ closeups in sunlight for you.   Very hot here now though, in the 100’s F, so will try to do when the temps come down a bit at midday for most UV.