UltravioletPhotography

Vintage Pontiac Vis/IR

I do enjoy trying out different wavelengths and filters at local car displays. These are visible and IR (likely 720nm) shots of a '52 Pontiac Chieftain taken way back in 2014, clearly showing body filler under the paint. Taken with a FS-Olympus E-P2.

_8050562.jpg.e2ccd5bb3a7b78e67a42ad932b181320.jpg

_8050566.jpg.e519a24ee0dacb407f67ef555f617868.jpg

Doppler9000

What’s interesting is that the flaws revealed in the IR shot lead you to the same, less obvious, but still visible flaws in the vis shot.

Interesting the way IR pinpoints the repaired areas. Quite unexpected to me. Wonder if it is possible to repair a car and hide it from IR?

Thanks,

Doug A

That is interesting and very cool. Wonder what UV would have shown.

Did you ever show the owners any of the non vis shots?

Poor paint jobs are easy to spot. IR just makes it more evident. I expect that a better finish and more primer coats, before the paint would hide those blotches. UV is limited to surface defects, whereas IR can penetrate the paint layers. Nope, I've never shown these to the car owners, but they may have noticed them in my online galleries.

Marc del Piro
On 6/9/2022 at 8:16 PM, Doug A said:

Interesting the way IR pinpoints the repaired areas. Quite unexpected to me. Wonder if it is possible to repair a car and hide it from IR?

Thanks,

Doug A

As I see it here, the paint job is poorly done. Different paints or same paint that has been worn out by time will reflect IR light differently. Hence, the patches of new paint are evident. It would be possible to hide it from IR if the car was fully painted.