UltravioletPhotography

Dalea aurea [Golden Prairie-Clover]

dancingcat

dancingcat

Frary, S.C. (2022) Dalea aurea (Nutt. ex Pursh.) (Fabaceae) Golden Prairie-Clover.  Photographed in ultraviolet and visible light.

Collected:  27 May 2022 at Mockingbird Nature Park, Midlothian, Texas USA.  Voucher deposition: Botanical Research Institute of Texas Herbarium (BRIT) S. C. Frary [145].

Other Common Names:  Golden Dalea, Silktop Dalea

Synonyms:  Parosela aurea, Petalostemon capitatum, Psoralea aurea

Comment:
Native to the Great Plains and southwestern United States, and northern Mexico.   Likes dry, limestone-based habitats.  Good candidate for xeriscaping.  

Reference:
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Database, University of Texas at Austin.

Equipment:  [Olympus EM1mk2-broadband + Olympus 30mm f/3.5 macro]

Visible Light:  [f/11, iso 640, 2.5”, Kolari Vision UV/IR Cut HotMirror Pro 2 filter, ambient indoor light, 15-image in-camera stack]

Dalea_aurea_vis.jpg.1e5db8f42f00ce696b86b2dcb99ba35c.jpg

Ultraviolet Light:  [f/11, iso 640, 8”, BaaderU filter, Adaptalux UV LED arm 2x, 15-image in-camera stack]

Dalea_aurea_uv.jpg.036965e8bedadf2189491a6af1562432.jpg

Good sharpness and depth of field! The focus stacking worked well. Nice work.

dancingcat

TY guys, the Olympus in-camera stacking usually works well, this one did and was only sharpened with Topaz AI.  But the in-camera stack is a jpg and sometimes shows halos around edges which look like spherical aberration - when that happens I take the individual RAW images and stack them with ZereneStacker usually and no problem.  Some flowers show those halos and some don't, with same process.. not sure whatall is going on with that.

Very nice photographs! I am curious about whether the full-spectrum conversion of the E-M1 Mk II was done with AR coated replacement glass, or not coated? I am thinking of having my E-M1 Mk II converted by Kolari Vision and I cannot decide on whether to have the coating or not. From my e-mail exchange with Kolari Vision the AR coating decreases transmittance in UV while controlling reflections in IR. So there seems to be a compromise, and I do not have clear how detrimental the AR coating is to UV sensitivity.

dancingcat

@aphalo   Kolari Vision did my conversion with no glass coating.  I wanted to keep it as simple as possible.  As a rookie I didn't want anything I didn't understand to confuse my already confused self.. :-).  So stayed with just whatever plain glass they use.  I've had no problems with visible (using Kolari's hotcut filter 2), or in UV (using BaaderU).  Haven't done anything in IR yet.