UltravioletPhotography

Windshields in UV

GaryR

A couple of recents from a local car display, taken with my FS-Sony a7R, Nikon 50mm/f1.8 Ai lens with a B+W 403/BG39 stack. Note the non-UV-blocking T-Bird stock windshield, compared to the modified Plymouth Belvedere.

_DSC6024.jpg.dc4073c5e9c050c5147ecf20a1769ec3.jpg

_DSC6019.jpg.39b5094197b9ba8eebc0cd0d38eb7f50.jpg

That's interesting. 

But you do know cars aren't people right?

They can't vote.

But you are allowed to ask to look under the hood of the owner. ;p

Nice pics! I too have noticed I can see a little bit out of windshield with the Baader U, but if I put a zwb1 also, nothing till like 10 seconds. Blocks some IR too up around 900nm.

The reason for the low UV-transmittance by recently produced car glass is that it is a laminated design of glass, plastic and glass to improve safety during accidents.

This structural design has been present for a rather long time. Lately the trend has gone towards more thin and lighter windshields that are more easily cracked by stone chipping.

In a modern car all car glass is of this design:

756582216_ScreenShot2022-06-06at07_10_29.png.91c63c90ab7de2eb111fd38e8745f5f1.png

Here you can also see the UV filtering properties of the clear top coat laquer of the car's paintwork. It is actually silver metallic.

Camera: Canon 60D FS modified.

Filter: BaaderU.

Lens, possibly https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/4488-galaxy-135mm-f35-telephoto/

The image is more than four years old and I do mot remember exactly what lens I used.

12 hours ago, dabateman said:

That's interesting. 

But you do know cars aren't people right?

They can't vote.

But you are allowed to ask to look under the hood of the owner. ;p

I think we need a 'trains, planes and automobiles' category.

11 hours ago, Nate said:

Nice pics! I too have noticed I can see a little bit out of windshield with the Baader U, but if I put a zwb1 also, nothing till like 10 seconds. Blocks some IR too up around 900nm.

As a passenger in our car, I can only take UV shots out the side windows, using my B+W 403/BG39 stack. The front windshield is totally black.

8 hours ago, ulf said:

The reason for the low UV-transmittance by recently produced car glass is that it is a laminated design of glass, plastic and glass to improve safety during accidents.

This structural design has been present for a rather long time. Lately the trend has gone towards more thin and lighter windshields that are more easily cracked by stone chipping.

In a modern car all car glass is of this design:

756582216_ScreenShot2022-06-06at07_10_29.png.91c63c90ab7de2eb111fd38e8745f5f1.png

Here you can also see the UV filtering properties of the clear top coat laquer of the car's paintwork. It is actually silver metallic.

Camera: Canon 60D FS modified.

Filter: BaaderU.

Lens, possibly https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/4488-galaxy-135mm-f35-telephoto/

The image is more than four years old and I do mot remember exactly what lens I used.

Our standard model ford, only has UV blocking on the windshield. I can easily get good exposures out the side windows with the B+W 403/BG39 stack.

Yes, I have noticed how UV renders various paint surfaces.

Thanks All !

We're in the process of selling our home, so it's sure to be a disruptive summer.

At least I have the B+W 403/BG39 stack, when I do have a chance to get out.

34 minutes ago, GaryR said:

Thanks All !

We're in the process of selling our home, so it's sure to be a disruptive summer.

At least I have the B+W 403/BG39 stack, when I do have a chance to get out.

Gathering funds together to buy a phase one UV multispectral camera system? 

3 hours ago, dabateman said:

Gathering funds together to buy a phase one UV multispectral camera system? 

Only if I plan on being homeless.

WiSi-Testpilot

I took this picture of my car with a drone. The camera is a modified Sony Alpha 6000 with a Baader U filter.
Best regards,
Wilhelm

UV-Adam.jpg

Gary, great car photos! My Dad had a Thunderbird for a while, so I still have a soft spot for T-birds. Rarely see the old models anymore though.

Wilhelm, the drone reflections on the car are cool looking. "-)

22 hours ago, WiSi-Testpilot said:

I took this picture of my car with a drone. The camera is a modified Sony Alpha 6000 with a Baader U filter.
Best regards,
Wilhelm

UV-Adam.jpg

Very cool setup Wilhelm !

7 minutes ago, Andrea B. said:

Gary, great car photos! My Dad had a Thunderbird for a while, so I still have a soft spot for T-birds. Rarely see the old models anymore though.

Thanks Andrea ! 50s T-Birds are beautiful cars. We're fortunate to have numerous car displays in our area, all summer long. We have a huge city outdoor display in July, with 1000s of vintage and custom cars.