UltravioletPhotography

Kolarivision IR Chrome DIY Chinese version.

Marc del Piro

• 3 weeks later...

I did some test shots this week and found out that, on my sensor, QB19 + GRB3 (2mm) comes way closer to Lee 115 than it does to Lee 729.
I don't really like the look of 729 + GRB3 (tried B+W 489 as well) because of the lack of tonal variation.
Since Lee 115 + GRB3 is my favorite I decided to do some comparison shots.
All shots were done with a Sony A7 full spectrum and Samyang AF 45/1.8 FE lens.
All shots are straight out of camera jpeg and white balancing was done on an 18% grey card.
For me, Lee 115 + GRB3 still gives more tonal variation. QB19 + GRB3 is too orange for me.

Top/Left = QB19 + GRB3 (2mm)
Bottom/Right = Lee 115 + GRB3 (2mm)

01-QB19-1.JPG

02-Lee115 -1.JPG

03-QB19-2.JPG

04-Lee115-2.JPG

05-QB19-3.JPG

06-Lee115-3.JPG

07-QB19-4.JPG

08-Lee115-4.JPG

09-QB19-5.JPG

10-Lee115-5.JPG

11-QB19-6.JPG

12-Lee115-6.JPG

13-QB19-7.JPG

14-Lee115-7.JPG

15-QB19-8.JPG

16-Lee115-8.JPG

17-QB19-9.JPG

18-Lee115-9.JPG

19-QB19-10.JPG

20-Lee115-10.JPG

21-QB19-11.JPG

22-Lee115-11.JPG

Some crops of details I'm specifically looking for.
Notice how 115 + GRB3 renders vegetation ranging from yellow through orange to red.
QB19 + GRB3 is much flatter and tends to pull red and yellow towards orange as well.
Left = QB19 + GRB3
Right = Lee 115 + GRB3

co1.jpg

co2.jpg

co3.jpg

co4.jpg

Andy Perrin

Maybe it would be easier to just take some Lee 115 and sandwich it between some clear glass? I think that's what Tiffen #whatever is, pretty much, right? Gel filter on clear glass?

Well yeah that would make it glass. But the optical quality of the Lee filters isn't that great and sandwiching it between 2  layers of glass doens't improve on that.

I'm sure Tiffen's "gel between glass" is of higher optical quality than Lee's "meant to be put in front of a theater lamp" filters.

Marc del Piro

This is a nice comparision Nisei, thank you for taking your time on conducting it. I think there is a lot of information here on how both filtes perform jpeg SOOC on light and shadows. I can see in the images here that QB19 + GRB3 has a slight warmer tone overall, which could be the cause of this flatter image, probably still too much IR passing through, hence, to imitate the Lee 115 I think it's needed to use 2mm or 1.5mm blue QB19 (thus, it would not be possible to set it in one single ring). This is all conjecture of course. I'd be willing to see the histograms and the chances of RAW files to be adjusted equally. I wonder if this contrast is just shown as a JPG SOOC or it'd be translated to RAW file as well and limit the editing options to obtain a contrasted vegetation.

Anyway, I would like to point out that this post was a comparision between QB19 + GRB3 and IR Chrome filter effect. I am still really interested on seeing how both filters perform on other cameras.

I can send you some RAW files if you want. Let me know your email in a message and I'll send you a Wetransfer link.

Yes, I know this thread is about QB19 vs IR Chrome. I'm sorry I'm kinda hijacking the thread with my 115 comparisons.

The problem is, I don't have an IR Chrome filter. The whole point in finding a cheaper alternative is not having to buy the expensive original in the first place 😎  So I'm sorry I can't show you any comparisons with the IR Chrome filter.

• 3 months later...
Daniel Gawędzki

Hi there, I'm actually the one responsible for the Nantong Foric filter as I cracked the formula a few ways and created many similar versions of an IR Chrome filter. I gave this formula and a few other to Nantong Foric. After seeing this, they took down the filters used to make it (QB19+KG1) I believe it was. I'm both mortified and happy to see someone's cracked my work, but that's typical of this forum.

• 3 months later...

I would like to point out that there are no secrets involving filter glass and filter stacks in the UV/IR world. Everybody here knows what glasses (or gels or films) are available along with their specs and transmission charts.

In particular, given that there are only a few possible types of glass (or gels or films) which can combine to produce a digital emulation of the old Kodak Aerochrome, it doesn't take long to figure out good combos. We have members here who had good Aerochrome emulations about 10 years ago in the original version of this forum before it became UVP. And that was long before there was a Kolari Vision or any inexpensive chinese filter glass sold on Ebay.

In those olden days it was sometimes much harder to source the materials. (Geez, I sound ancient.) I remember trying to wade through a B+W ordering form in German hoping that I had actually ordered the blue-green glass that I wanted. But I digress.... sorry!

Anyway, my point is -->> nobody is doing anything filter-stack-wise which hasn't already been done either here or elsewhere. (I'm thinking Dr. Klaus, as just one example of elsewhere.) 

But the fun is in the details. And also in the tests with new cameras and lenses. And those experiments continue.

Again, thank you to Marc and Nisei for their excellent demonstrations of the finer points of stacking to obtain a desired result. I quite enjoyed seeing all the photos and reading the discussion.

• 9 months later...
Marc del Piro
On 2/5/2023 at 9:21 AM, Andrea B. said:

In particular, given that there are only a few possible types of glass (or gels or films) which can combine to produce a digital emulation of the old Kodak Aerochrome, it doesn't take long to figure out good combos. We have members here who had good Aerochrome emulations about 10 years ago in the original version of this forum before it became UVP. And that was long before there was a Kolari Vision or any inexpensive chinese filter glass sold on Ebay.

Hi Andrea,

Sorry for the late response. I have been out for a long time! Thank you for your comment. You have a point here. As I said before, my work wouldn't be possible without the contribution of the members of this forum.

Lately, I have been investigating both filters further on, I will publish my results shortly... I am just a bit too busy these days!