UltravioletPhotography

Finally got it! How to Use Lee Swatchbook Filters??

Hi everyone.
I finally managed to find a Lee swatchbook in Portugal to run some tests trying to digitally achieve the famous Aerochrome effect. I use the Olympus 14-42 lens which has a 37mm threaded front lens and I was thinking of buying two UV filters or Skylight in order to put the polyester filter in the middle of the two glasses but on a single screw ring. Which of the two glasses do you recommend? .....the uv will not interfere in the spectrum of light that reaches the sensor? What is the best way to laminate Lee polyester film? Could someone kindly explain in detail how I should do it? Many thanks in advance.lee_web.jpg.0cb7be6fa0fc86cf03840f6555508cf3.jpg

Why not attach to the back of the lens with double-sided tape or normal adhesive tape? You only need a little of the Lee sheet for this...

Picareto - I see that there has only been one response. So I am going to put additional info in the title in hopes that we get more suggestions.

Owner/Admin:  Andrea B.

P.S. I think that UV-cut filters would work if indeed it is possible to place a Lee between two of them.

They typically do not cut a lot of UV and do not cut IR.

If the swatch book is difficult to source you might want to consider a non-destructive method to evaluate the filters.

Something like the Nikon AF-1 Gel Filter Holder with a 37mm to 52mm step up ring should work.

If the swatches are to small you could mask them with black card stock to fill the holder.

Nikon AF-1.jpg

I have three different wads

I don't know what these hair-thick filters can do.
There are stiff and thick ones and very thin ones for high temperatures.
transparency is good if she is new,

certainly not good so a Kodak Wratten gelatine filters from 50 € each

Well if you're just going for a fake Aerochrome look, than a cheap uv (glass filter) on the front and a GRB3 filter on the back can work to reduce your stack size. 

For the 14-42mm lens, I also made my own gel holders.  I got a couple 37mm to 58mm or to 52mm step up rings. I screwed the ring all the way on the lens. Then marked the up and down position.  Then unscrewed the step up ring and carefully Dremelled a slit in the top position.  So I could slide in gels to play with. 

On 5/19/2022 at 12:01 PM, Christoph said:

Why not attach to the back of the lens with double-sided tape or normal adhesive tape? You only need a little of the Lee sheet for this...

Thanks .....thats what i´m gonna do.

14 hours ago, Andrea B. said:

Picareto - I see that there has only been one response. So I am going to put additional info in the title in hopes that we get more suggestions.

Owner/Admin:  Andrea B.

P.S. I think that UV-cut filters would work if indeed it is possible to place a Lee between two of them.

They typically do not cut a lot of UV and do not cut IR.

Thank you so much for the help

12 hours ago, JCDowdy said:

If the swatch book is difficult to source you might want to consider a non-destructive method to evaluate the filters.

Something like the Nikon AF-1 Gel Filter Holder with a 37mm to 52mm step up ring should work.

If the swatches are to small you could mask them with black card stock to fill the holder.

Nikon AF-1.jpg

Thank you but the lens front lens thread is only 37mm....

12 hours ago, photoni said:

I have three different wads

I don't know what these hair-thick filters can do.
There are stiff and thick ones and very thin ones for high temperatures.
transparency is good if she is new,

certainly not good so a Kodak Wratten gelatine filters from 50 € each

....only with tests will you know
12 hours ago, dabateman said:

Well if you're just going for a fake Aerochrome look, than a cheap uv (glass filter) on the front and a GRB3 filter on the back can work to reduce your stack size. 

For the 14-42mm lens, I also made my own gel holders.  I got a couple 37mm to 58mm or to 52mm step up rings. I screwed the ring all the way on the lens. Then marked the up and down position.  Then unscrewed the step up ring and carefully Dremelled a slit in the top position.  So I could slide in gels to play with. 

Woww....nice idea....can you show some photos of that?

5 hours ago, Picareto said:

Woww....nice idea....can you show some photos of that?

Yes hopefully these images show you the idea. This is a 37mm to 58mm step up ring. With a filter inserted.

20220521_105234.jpg

20220521_105159.jpg

3 hours ago, dabateman said:

Yes hopefully these images show you the idea. This is a 37mm to 58mm step up ring. With a filter inserted.

20220521_105234.jpg

20220521_105159.jpg

Oh ...thank you....and will not scratch the filter?

9 hours ago, Picareto said:

Thank you but the lens front lens thread is only 37mm....

Yes, hence the need for a 37mm to 52mm step up ring which "permits the use of 52mm threaded filters on lenses with 37mm filter threads" to attach the AF-1 via it's 52mm threads.

See: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/99860-REG/B_W_65026071_37mm_to_52mm_Step_Up.html

What am I missing here?  Are you worried the 37mm lens threads cannot bear the weight?

29 minutes ago, Picareto said:

Oh ...thank you....and will not scratch the filter?

I have a thin metal file that I used to remove burs from the cut. I made 3 of these to place over Led bulbs to change the color of my lighting. 

They work well.

If you pop off the plastic dome or cut it off on Led bulbs, you can tape a 55mm to 52mm step down ring on many Led light bulbs that are E26/E27 size. I also do that with 365nm led bulbs to add a Zwb1 filter.

A 52mm to 37mm stepdown ring then this filter holder worked well.