UltravioletPhotography

Eucalyptus leucoxylon

Images of a red flowered Eucalyptus leucoxylon growing in our garden, an easy tree to grow. Pentax K-5 full spectrum converted.

Sunlight, B+W UV/IR cut filter, 1/60 s @ f/16 WB in Photoninja on Color checker Quartz 105 mm lens on Novoflex bellows

post-28-0-53611600-1380417605.jpg

I put the flower down on the ground and the ant decided to check it out for a free feed! The diameter of the inner circle of filaments was about 5 mm

Sunlight, Baader U filter, 10s @ f/16, WB in Photoninja on Spectralon

post-28-0-61029900-1380417891.jpg

There's a moving ant in there somewhere I think!

Now a bit more extension of the bellows, same exposure which meant it was a bit underexposed and probably introduced the bluer colour

post-28-0-79185800-1380418043.jpg

I'm a great believer in serendipity, so while I was "pixel peeping" at 100% in CS5 here's what I found in the bottom left hand corner!

post-28-0-36925800-1380418160.jpg

I think those are the conical cells you told me I should be able to see Bjorn!

Yes, of course I will go back and do it all properly.

Cheers,

Dave

This was my unbranded 105 mm f/4.0 three element un corrected quartz lens from Universe Kogaku America Inc, Oyster Bay NY.

I have a question about how I go about posting in the botanical sections when I get my act together. I know the family, genus and specimen names but what if the family or genus isn't already in your listing. Will you fix that as part of the posting process.

Dave

Only the admins can add taxa to the systematic listing. Just shoot any of us (me or Andrea) a PM and we'll add the required entry.

Dave - give me a heads up about what you might want to have added initially, OK?

You can list a few taxa here in this thread, and I will get them added pronto.

Question to you about a K5 setting: In the Menu on Camera Tab 3,

there is a D-Range Setting for Highlight Correction and Shadow Correction.

Do you find those settings useful for this camera?

Do you think if they are both set to On, that there is any compromise to image quality?

Thanks for any help on this as I'm new to the K5.

Andrea

Sorry I've only just seen this comment.

I have had Bjorn add three taxa, which I have yet to populate, done the shots but paperwork is being dragged. Been out again this morning so the heap of images to process is still growing, but Hey, Spring and good weather doesn't last long. We are enjoying an exceptional wildflower season so the experts say as it rained at just the right time over winter.

I had to look on the back of my K-5, my guess is that if you shoot in RAW (I have that set to DNG) it shouldn't make any difference. I have the highlight set to ON and the shadow to Off, I find that the K-5 metering is very kind to highlights and reviews of the K-5 found the shadow detail to be very good (dpreview.com)

One item you might like to fix is in the Custom menus, item 27 (on page 4 I think) is to set using Aperture ring to "permitted" so you can release the shutter any old time, not just when you have a lens set to "A". If you find you can't release the shutter it causes steam to come out of your ears :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Dave

Yes, I had to "discover" that little menu item #27 early on as I have no A lenses. I was certainly puzzled for a time about that stubborn shutter. :D :D :D