UltravioletPhotography

Interesting article - vacuum UV lens

Andy Perrin

Metamaterials are cool. There was quite a bit of interest in using them for invisibility a few years ago. Not sure if people got bored with that or perfected it…

1 minute ago, Andy Perrin said:

Metamaterials are cool. There was quite a bit of interest in using them for invisibility a few years ago. Not sure if people got bored with that or perfected it…

Difficult to tel if their invisibility became 100% 😀

I wonder what VUV fluorescence looks like ?
Using a glass vacuum chamber would eliminate the ozone problem ?

13 hours ago, colinbm said:

I wonder what VUV fluorescence looks like ?
Using a glass vacuum chamber would eliminate the ozone problem ?

Well, I'd suspect that even reflective surfaces, such as metals, would start to fluoresce to some extent.

Andy Perrin

Metals won't fluoresce because they can't. You need to have either a band gap, or a finite number of energy levels, like in a molecule, to have fluorescence, and the defining characteristic of metals is that they don't have one -- electrons in a metal can have pretty much any energy they like. 

On 5/8/2022 at 3:16 AM, Andy Perrin said:

Metals won't fluoresce because they can't. You need to have either a band gap, or a finite number of energy levels, like in a molecule, to have fluorescence, and the defining characteristic of metals is that they don't have one -- electrons in a metal can have pretty much any energy they like. 

Ah well, there I go being outscienced again. Thanks for clearing that up.