UltravioletPhotography

Nice examples of UV-excited fluorescence of rock-encrusting biofilms

enricosavazzi

enricosavazzi

https://www.naturettl.com/ultraviolet-light-landscape-macro-photography/

This is nothing new in principle, but the pictures show very colorful fluorescence, much more than we are used to see e.g. in mosses and lichens. Quite possibly there is an algal biofilm on the rocks in the pictures, although it is almost impossible to know exactly what types of algae are fluorescing in which colors without doing a survey with a fluorescence microscope. My limited experience with algal biofilms is that dozens of species of "algae" may be mixed with lots of other organisms in a complex ecosystem even in a sub-millimeter sample of biofilm, and that the next sample from the same rock may contain a largely different set of species.

Andrea B.

Thanks for the link, Enrico.

Those are some lovely photos in the article. This kind of UVIVF  is something which would be enjoyable for members to try to capture. The photos under the night sky are so beautiful!

I think that photographer got some info from the UVP website! You don't see the Spoon Test or Ball Bearing Test (originally mentioned by Shane Elen) anywhere else but here. But this is great that our info is getting out there into the world so that people can   enjoy this kind of wonderful photography. Makes me HAPPY !!!

That's amazing. The trick seems like, is to go somewhere that isn't polluted by the fluorescent threads that fall off of people's clothes constantly. I'd do a lot more UVIVF but my home is absolutely littered with them and I can't get them off.

Thanks for the link, very nice and outside the normal thinking of UVIVF subjects/framing in combination with the night sky.  Andrea, sure there is a link to UVP at the end of the article.

Wow-foreground light painting at night is a well-known technique, but doing it with fluorescence is a fun variation! Kudos to the photographer who came up with this.

Andrea B.

I did not notice the link to UVP. Thank you for pointing that out. 😁

And THANK YOU to the author Nathaniel Child !!