UltravioletPhotography

[TEST] SB-140 UV-Flash with and without UV-Pass Filter

Andrea B.

Sorry Ulf

What I meant was that the, closer to the required wavelengths of the light source, then the filter on the camera will work at its best.

1 hour ago, colinbm said:

Sorry Ulf

What I meant was that the, closer to the required wavelengths of the light source, then the filter on the camera will work at its best.

OK, now I understand what you meant. That is quite true.

Still any unneeded losses in the system should be avoided for an optimal performance.

The spectrum of the flash, beside the IR-peaks is not that far from sunlight already and IMHO would not need any extra filtration.

There is nothing to gain from that.

For fluorescence photography in a dark environment filtering is absolutely a must.

Andrea B.

I thought that the idea with the flash for UV was to replace or support the sunlight to get shorter exposure times.

Then more energy in the UV range is better. I cannot see anything gained by filtering the flash here.

Yes, you are right! 

I'm no longer sure why I wrote that about filtering out the vis light from the UV-flash. I must have been thinking about UVIVF work as well as reflected UV work. Although I usually do not use UV-flash for UVIVF.

dancingcat

FWIW - here is the spectrum from Kolari re: the UV filter over it's KV-FL1 flash

Kolari didn't say what the material in the UV flash cup was made of.. don't know the provenance of the spectrum either...

110032978_KV-FL1UVflashcupspectrum.jpeg.f49912c2e63e2654934dea52ac453387.jpeg

Andrea B.

I changed the title of this topic to be informative.