UltravioletPhotography

Unauthorized copies of my web pages on www.dujingtou.com

enricosavazzi

enricosavazzi

I just became aware that https://www.dujingtou.com/ is publishing a good number of the web pages from my web site (http://www.savazzi.net) translated into Chinese. The common saying about imitation being the most sincere form of flattery comes to mind.

More information on http://www.savazzi.net/photography/copycats.html

The final joke might be on them, however. If curious, check the last line on my page at the above link.

enricosavazzi
47 minutes ago, Andrea B. said:

Enrico, you can block entire countries via .htaccess.

LINK

Yes, I am aware of this, but it kind of goes against the whole idea of making the web site freely available to anyone interested. Sooner or later China is going to block my entire web site from their country anyway, which is another way of taking care of the problem. I am actually a little surprised that they did not do it yet.

Yes, I agree with you - for the most part. 😃

When there are serious copyright violations (i.e. theft) of photos, then I have been known to block some addresses. Or if the bot scraping becomes too much, I have sometimes temporarily blocked them.

Is it possible that VPNs are a workaround to detecting what sites are being visited in another country? May be Uncle Xi's government doesn't know your site is being accessed because of VPN usage??

enricosavazzi
7 hours ago, Andrea B. said:

[...]

Is it possible that VPNs are a workaround to detecting what sites are being visited in another country? May be Uncle Xi's government doesn't know your site is being accessed because of VPN usage??

(1) Yes and (2) probably, in part. Your web server can only detect the IP address where the tunnel exits the VPN, which usually is the VPN server (or the last VPN server in a chain). The IP address of the client using the VPN is by definition hidden to the end point, as far as the web server is concerned. The only clues may be in the HTTP request.

Surfing the web via VPN servers is a national sport in China, for obvious reasons. Still, I can see dozens of seemingly private IP addresses all over China accessing my web server one or a few pages at a time, so apparently it is still open to them. The Chinese government cannot completely seal off the country from the Internet without hurting business. Somewhat fewer addresses from Russia, including extremely small and geographically isolated villages. Nothing at all from N Korea. A web bot making hundreds of page accesses day in and day out in Suwon-si, S Korea.

Thanks for the added info about VPNs. 

Here on UVP we get a lot of Baidu and Sougou from China and Yandex from Russia. I think it is Naver which we get from S. Korea. And of course we get the usual Google and Bing bots.

I'm guessing N. Korea has no internet at all except for the leaders and high mucky-mucks who might get to use it on a limited basis?

enricosavazzi
1 hour ago, Andrea B. said:

[...]

I'm guessing N. Korea has no internet at all except for the leaders and high mucky-mucks who might get to use it on a limited basis?

Plus of course the hundreds (possibly thousands) of hackers trained and employed by the N Korean government to steal money and cryptocurrencies from other countries to finance both Kim & Co's expensive luxury habits and their weapons of mass destruction. Most likely none of these are directly visible as operating from N Korea's Internet, and are instead using Chinese Internet providers.