UltravioletPhotography

IR Filter and Modifier Filter List

mason2spectral

mason2spectral

I know this is primarily a UV forum, but having put together my ZBW2 UV filter stack with some cheaper 3rd party alternatives, I've come to realize that I am sorely lacking in overall knowledge regarding light modification techniques and filters. After seeing a post on here showing the Kolari IR Chrome filter I use could be recreated by stacking 3rd party filters together, I tried looking around the forum to see if there were any other interesting combinations or filters. I noticed there isn't a pinned thread or compendium dedicated to comparing various IR and other filters. A dedicated thread/page would be extremely useful for new members such as myself!

Andy Perrin

Yeah, I see what you mean, the info is there but scattered around. I don’t have time to do this right now but I hope someone else will because it sounds like it’s needed. 

Sorry, I'm not quite understanding what is wanted? Can you be more specific? I'd be happy to work on any lists or whatever which might be helpful.

Just to point out a few things which might be useful....

We have 13 pinned topics in this Filter section. Many of them show photos made with different series of filters so that results can be compared. Is this what you are looking for? For example, the following topics show comparisons or charts of IR filters (longpass). And there's more.

Filter Series :: 15 Yellow and Orange Longpass Filters :: Transmission Charts
Filter Series :: Water, Land, Sky with K5 :: 36 UV/IR Filters, Raw & White Balanced
Schott IR-Pass Filters: 15 Views of the White-balanced Color Checker Card

Also the Filter tag can be used to create a list of filter topics: https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/search/&tags=Filters

Then there is the good old Filters Sticky which lists filters and filter glass. (That has been viewed approximately 30.2K times !!! Wow. I hadn't looked at how many views we get for a while. We're getting a lot!)

well hello again?

I got no answer here, so I cannot create any new lists. 

Andy Perrin

Andrea, Mason was talking about creating equivalents of the IRchrome and other aerochrome simulations. I assumed they wanted a compendium of threads related to that, like our discussions of the Roscoe and Lee filters, and christof’s work, and things like that. And maybe similar but for the BUG stacks. I’m not a mind reader though so maybe I’m reading it wrong. 

Mason's last sentence also points at possible results for single IR pass filters.

Then we have a long range including some simple Aerochrome setup simulations based on a single Tiffen 12.

Next I guess is the Goldie style with the 590nm and so on.

I think what he wants beside information about more complex filter stacks is a general rather simple digest of final results and how to get there.

That is what I can think might be useful.

I know that your links above covers much of it from an analytic point of view.

I also think the poster is looking for more obscure combinations rather than classic longpass filters or those offered by the big IR converters. A list would be great, of course. For me, though, it would also take a bit of the fun away, as discovering new styles (on your own) can be very satisfying.

Basically, I can say: buy a Swatchbook from Lee Filters, a GRB3 hot mirror and maybe an X1 from Hoya, and the whole world of false color photography is open to you. From Aerochrome variants to the classics like 720nm, 850nm, IR Chrome and much more. If you have the right combo, you'll get yellow trees, orange, poison green, pink and so on.

If you want to go beyond that, buy a DB850 from Midopt. With that and a specific orange filter you can generate blue trees (in otherwise natural look). I just found out this variant: https://hiddenrealms.ch/blue-trees-ir/

• 2 weeks later...
mason2spectral
On 4/16/2022 at 1:30 PM, Christoph said:

I also think the poster is looking for more obscure combinations rather than classic longpass filters or those offered by the big IR converters. A list would be great, of course. For me, though, it would also take a bit of the fun away, as discovering new styles (on your own) can be very satisfying.

Basically, I can say: buy a Swatchbook from Lee Filters, a GRB3 hot mirror and maybe an X1 from Hoya, and the whole world of false color photography is open to you. From Aerochrome variants to the classics like 720nm, 850nm, IR Chrome and much more. If you have the right combo, you'll get yellow trees, orange, poison green, pink and so on.

If you want to go beyond that, buy a DB850 from Midopt. With that and a specific orange filter you can generate blue trees (in otherwise natural look). I just found out this variant: https://hiddenrealms.ch/blue-trees-ir/

Wow that's honestly really cool! I didn't know something like that was even possible! 

Yes. I am looking for interesting combinations of filters.