UltravioletPhotography

Aircraft refuelling in UV

Today was a quite sunny day, just what we need for UV trip. It was decided to take a walk to one of the local flying clubs and take photos of how planes refuel. Gear used Sony A7, UG1 2mm, S8612 1.5mm, El-Nikkor 80. Here are some photos.

_DSC5360.jpg

_DSC5364.jpg

_DSC5368.jpg

_DSC5374.jpg

_DSC5375.jpg

_DSC5182.jpg

_DSC5372.jpg

_DSC5387_1.jpg

Great shots Ural. great to see the windows block so much UV for flying at higher altitude. I've tested my car windows, and was amazed how much UV and IR is blocked by the front windshield. Sides and back, not so much.

Like the dandi too, I'm not spraying my yard this year, so all wild things are free to grow to photograph😁

10 hours ago, Cadmium said:

Ural, Interesting photos, thanks! 🙂

6 hours ago, Nate said:

Great shots Ural. great to see the windows block so much UV for flying at higher altitude. I've tested my car windows, and was amazed how much UV and IR is blocked by the front windshield. Sides and back, not so much.

Like the dandi too, I'm not spraying my yard this year, so all wild things are free to grow to photograph😁

Thank you Cadmium and Nate. It also surprises me that there is mist on the horizon, although the day was clear and very sunny.

23 minutes ago, Ural said:

mist on the horizon

I start getting it about a half a mile out/ .8KM on average while I've been out, just the light scattering. It appears greenish most the time for me.

In UV you have more haze (or haze begins closer) because of the increased Rayleigh scattering. The opposite happens in IR.

Great subject and execution @Ural. We rarely see UV images with people doing things. Excellent job getting everything sharp without motion blur. I'm still getting used to perfectly clear windows going black in UV.

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

On 3/20/2022 at 1:46 PM, Stefano said:

In UV you have more haze (or haze begins closer) because of the increased Rayleigh scattering. The opposite happens in IR.

It is interesting, so shorter wavelengths (UV) are scattered more strongly than longer wavelengths (Infrared). There is something to check next time :-)

Thank you, @Doug A, yeh, there is always something interesting when take UV shots, feel a little bit as a researcher.

11 minutes ago, Ural said:

It is interesting, so shorter wavelengths (UV) are scattered more strongly than longer wavelengths (Infrared). There is something to check next time :-)

This is exactly why the sky is blue. The trend extends in UV and IR.

The cause is Rayleigh scattering, which is proportional to the inverse of the fourth power of the wavelength. At half the wavelength, the scattering is 16 times more intense.

Andy Perrin

19 minutes ago, Stefano said:

This is exactly why the sky is blue. The trend extends in UV and IR.

The cause is Rayleigh scattering, which is proportional to the inverse of the fourth power of the wavelength. At half the wavelength, the scattering is 16 times more intense.

Yup, although it's actually more interesting in the UV than in visible light because in UV the sun rapidly gets dimmer as the wavelength decreases at the same time the scattering is going the opposite way. So the "color" of the UV sky is determined by the competition of those two factors, rather than just the scattering as in visible light. This is further complicated by our cameras, due to the decrease in sensitivity with decreasing wavelength from multiple factors -- lens cutoff, bayer (if present), filter choice, etc.

My guess is that the guy is pulling the plane slightly forward. It is moved a few decimeters compared to 1st and 2nd photo from the top.

Those planes are surprisingly easy to move and roll around.

The propeller is a goos place to grip for pulling as long as the motor is off. 😀

A good old PA-28, with titanium dioxide-based paint, by the look of it. When pushing or pulling, the base of the propeller is a common place to grip (although if pulling, a hand towbar works better.)

I have tried to take UV photos inside a small aircraft and found it virtually impossible. One must find some sort of openable window to get anything.