UltravioletPhotography

QUESTION: All Activity Stream with Comments or without Comments? [Leaving it as it is currently.]

Andrea B.

The All Activity Stream, which is the only Stream available to logged-off members, lists a Topic multiple times for each Comment the Topic has. This results in quite a long list which is difficult to search. The multiple Topic listing feature can be turned off so that a Topic only appears one time in the All Activity Stream.

Please comment on your preference for the All Activity Stream. Do you want Comments available or Comments turned off?

I should note that if you are logged on, the right-hand block lists the 25 Most Recent Topics. So I have not decided yet whether I will convert the All Activity Stream to be like that block simply because some members do not want to log on. (...why don't you want to log on?...) But I am certainly willing to hear your preferences.

25 Most Recent Topics

Viewability

1) Safari Logged In

browser expanded Yes at right

browser compressed NO at bottom ???

2) Safari Logged Off

browser compressed Yes at bottom

3) Firefox Logged In

browser compressed NO at bottom ???

4) Firefox Logged Off

browser compressed Yes at bottom

Andrea, I would prefer a condensed activity both for those who are logged in and for occasional unregistered visitors
It seems useless and dispersive to see 20 interventions of the novelty of the day, and to queue 4 or 5 pages ... more interesting topics than a few days before
"inter nos" (between us)
As ignorant I keep a brouser connected to participate (in English)
and a brouser not logged in with automatic translation from english to italian (chrome) with this I cannot participate and answer correctly.

I don't like having to logon to read the comments.  I like it how it use to be, when I didn't have to logon, then look at the list of topics, and each topic showed if there were new comments, and who commented last right in the topic listing, then click on the topic and see the full list. I would read more that way.
Not sure what is closest to the old version.

There have been no changes in the content of All Activity or in 25 Most Recent Topics.

• For a short time in the past, All Activity went missing because I accidentally deleted it from the navigation tabs at the top. Cadmium called this to my attention, and I fixed it. 
  • I changed to title of 25 Most Recent Topics to be more descriptive.
  • For both of these lists, there can be some refresh delay. New topics or comments do not instantly appear on the lists. 

Activity > All Activity

When you are not logged on and you choose All Activity from the top menu tabs, you get a list of all Topics with Comments for the last 365 days. This means a Topic is listed one time for every comment, in order of most recent comments.

• I might change 365 days to something more reasonable in order to cause less of a hit on resources.
    I'm thinking that 60 days is probably enough for All Activity.
  • If you are logged on, All Activity works the same way.
  • The viewer can choose to display All Activity in either a Condensed or an Expanded format by clicking the appropriate button.

Browse > Forums > 25 Most Recent Topics

When you are not logged on and your browser is expanded, you can see the list of 25 Most Recent Topics in a block to the right of the Forum boards list. If your browser is compressed, then 25 Most Recent Topics is displayed under the Forum boards list.

• For reasons I cannot determine, when you are actually logged on in compressed browser mode, the list of 25 Most Recent Topics is not displayed. This is probably a bug.

Cadmium, All Activity remains the same as you and others have enjoyed it in the past.

Toni, I think that it is the 25 Most Recent Topics block which displays what you want to see. So go to the Home page [Browse > Forums] and look either to the right or at the bottom for the display of this block. It is not necessary to log on to see this list.

@Andrea B. I'm always logged in when on the site, so some of this won't affect my user experience. Doubt 360 days is needed, 60 or perhaps 90 seems fine. I'm fine with whatever you, Birna and the other members decide.

Thanks for asking,

Doug A

For some reason the All Activity Stream length can only be changed in one of the source files!

If I change a source file, then there is the possibility that an update would erase my change.

So, sigh, I guess I will just leave it alone for now even though it seems excessively long.