UltravioletPhotography

Bob the Bathroom Spider

Andy Perrin

Bob the fluorescent bathroom spider, glowing cheerfully. All my spiders are named Bob. This is Bob XXI, 21st of that name, King of the Corner, Rawr Rawr Ferocious Monster, roughly 4-5mm. When you are smol, the kingdom is vast.

Sony A7iii (stock), Zeiss T* UV cut filter, Nemo torch, EL-Nikkor 80mm/5.6 lens. F/16, ISO8000, 1/13" (handheld, with some wall support)

441776304__DSC1838copyUVP.jpg.5da45fa2264652c0b3480d723f21b331.jpg

With the bathroom lights on (and a different WB):

1865736677__DSC1832_editUVP.jpg.d8b31922d82cc8a82a097a4fca82e766.jpg

Visible light only (earlier in the day)

1329753685__DSC1703copyUVP.jpg.b6d318d4dd34c54f38edf660ae172c4d.jpg

I read somewhere that 99% of house spiders are female looking for a good time. After the photo shoot, I hope you told her this is not a Gentlemen's club and it's time to hit the brothel down the street.

Great pics Andy.

Wery beautiful photos Andy
My wife never disturbs the spiders in our house

but we don't have such big and beautiful guests

The only spider I hate is the little red spider (Tetranychus urticae) 0,5 mm

that attacks the plants that I shelter at home in winter such as ficus, dracena, kentia, anthurium etc.

Only very tiny spiders are allowed to stay. The magnification of the above images was about 3x, so technically not “macro” if “macro” means 1x. 

I had to work up the nerve to look, but happy that I did.

Good work.

For years I was terrified of spiders. When I began to make botanical photos, I became fascinated by the crab spiders on flowers. And then began to be less frightened by them. Eventually I lost most of my fear of them. I'm still a bit skittish if I suddenly spot something crawling towards me. But now I'm able to offer them a new home back outdoors where they can find dinner more easily than in the house. It still takes me a minute or two before I can click on a spider topic.

I now think that crab spiders are cute little things even though they are fiercely predatory. I will now name them Bob. Or Bobette.