UltravioletPhotography

Mantis in IR

Taken last July with the Pentax K-01 mirrorless APS-c camera converted to full spectrum by Szabo. Used Pentax DFA100 macro and Pentax ringflash. F11 1/180 with Hoya R72 filter.

A little surprised there isn't any false color. Looks more like 850nm IR to me. Perhaps it is because there isn't any sky. Photographed last season . Still processing some images. 

Thanks for looking,

Doug A

IMGP8285prayingmantisIRringflashWEB.jpg

Cool! I got one myself in my very early days in IR (circa 2012!). This was taken with a modified iPhone 4 with an R72 on it, converted to monochrome after the fact because at that time I literally didn't know you could white balance an image...

1142517462_Mantiswithinfrared.jpg.4ebbef9578545e5df351fb3206c93368.jpg

The mantis eyes are interesting in IR. Not sure what I was expecting though. 🙂

Frosty blue and white looks OK for an R72. I'm guessing the restricted subject area and the use of flash could affect things? It is OK to boost saturation a bit, if that suits the photo. 

Maybe we should put this Mantis fellow in the Fauna section?

@NateIsaac did a good job converting the Pentax K-01. I might have him do another. 

@Andrea B. I didn't even think about posting this in Fauna. Feel free to move it if you want. I will investigate IR flash more when spring finally arrives. 

Thanks,

Doug A

• 5 months later...
Daniel Csati

Nice photo! Iphones are usually very bad at seeing infrared. Surprisingly in the laser lab most phones can perfectly see only a few watts of infrared lasers, but iphones can't even see 600W. I suspect some software trick going on with them

Andy Perrin

Daniel, my iphone was converted. The case had a built-in IR cutting window. Without that window it did fine. If you want to “free” your iphone, replace the rear with one that is IR-friendly. I think it would be difficult with a modern iphone but the above was made with converted iphone 4.

I doubt there is any software trick involved, just hardware that guarantees no infrared light ever makes it to the sensor.  

Daniel Csati
3 minutes ago, Andy Perrin said:

I doubt there is any software trick involved, just hardware that guarantees no infrared light ever makes it to the sensor.  

I'm an Android type, but I doubt that it is possible do this good non-commercial short pass filters :D Thats like OD6 required at least to block all the light at 600W from a small spot. 

Andy Perrin

First, I’m not sure I believe you about the laser?

Second, I converted the above phone myself and that was definitely what was preventing the infrared light from making it to the sensor. You can see I got a perfectly adequate IR photo from it after conversion. 

Finally, even if the laser was 600W, the reflection certainly isn’t, and only a fraction of that ever hits the phone. And OD6 blocking is not that hard to do in IR. Plenty of safety goggles manage it. Apple can definitely manage it!