UltravioletPhotography

Gorteria diffusa subsp. diffusa [Beetle Daisy]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2022. Gorteria diffusa subsp. diffusa Thunb. Asteraceae. Beetle Daisy. South-African Flowers photographed in ultraviolet (UV) and visible light. LINK

Gorteria diffusa is another of the many orange-coloured flowers making up the spectacular spring blooms of the dry plains of the Cape provinces in South Africa. Its vernacular name 'Beetle Daisy' indicates the strange markings on the ligulate florets. These look like small, dark beetles and obviously is an expression of mimicry, developed to attract pollinators.

The species itself is highly variable and  the species complex has a confusing array of synonyms and races. The plant reported on here suits the nominal race subsp. diffusa. I photographed these plants near Niewodtville at Bokkenveld, North Cape. The flowers had mostly 1-3 "beetle" markings in each head. The stems were prostrate.

The distribution map indicates the endemic nature of Gorteria diffusa s.lat. (from http://www.ville-ge.ch/musinfo/bd/cjb/africa/details.php?langue=an&id=176194)

gorteria_diffusa.jpg

The 'beetle'-imitating flower heads,

G1509046476.jpg

The 'beetles' are strikingly visible in ultraviolet (UV)

I1509042688.jpg

I1509042689.jpg

All images on this page are copyright Birna Rørslett and may not be used without explicit permission of the author.

[Published 10 February, 2022]

These South African flowers are so interesting. There are genus names I've never heard of.

This Gorteria has a kind of double bulls-eye. The rays have a wide bulls-eye and then the little florets also have a bulls-eye. Very unusual.