UltravioletPhotography

Hello from England

Chris J

Hello Everyone

I'm Chris ,based in East Sussex near the south coast of England . A long time amateur photographer, I decided to bite the bullet last March and got an old Canon 60D converted to full spectrum. Since then I've mainly been exploring the Infrared end of the spectrum , mainly B&W Landscapes but some colour as well . In September i started looking at the UV end, and I've enjoyed exploring different floral UV signatures , It's a shame its winter here now, subjects have dried up . 

The attached pictures give you some idea of what I've been looking at

The Graveyard picture is IR 950nm, the Wheelchair is using the Kolari IRChrome filter (which is more a tribute to Aerochrome rather than a true emulation - I find its more brown than deep red ) and the African Daisies (Osteospermum) are using the Kolari UV Bandpass transmission - In this case I love that only one variety seemed to show a strong UV reflection and these pale pink ones were the least colourful in Normal Light  

03 Trinity.jpg

aerochrome_chair.jpg

01_first_amongst_equals_UV.jpg

The wheelchair pic has some great colors. Some members are very particular about wanting to exactly reproduce Aerochrome, but I’m not one of them. 

• 4 weeks later...

A few weeks later - Still here , reading and browsing, I've meant to post but every query I've had about filters, lenses or lights I find has already been answered here . 

The breath and depth of information about UV photography here is incredible , Thank you everyone

Welcome to the community @Chris J.  I like the IR tombstones a lot. Very moody. Don't usually find IR photos hitting that vibe. Well done.

The wheelchair image is colorful and really different. Looking forward to more of these images. I have the same filter, unused, and can't wait to give it a try. Agree with @Andy Perrin, it doesn't have to be an exact copy of Aero chrome.

The UV flowers turned out great. Always interesting to see how different flowers respond to UV. You are doing a great job.

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

• 1 year later...

A quick snap of some Autumn Hawkbits/ Dandelions (scorzoeroide autumnalis) in UV with a hot mirror version

Canon R  with El Nikor 105mm f5.6 enlarger & Baader U  

uv_autumn_hawkbit.jpg

hm_autumn_hawkbit.jpg

Nice picture but AFAIK it is not a type of Dandelion.

The botanists of the site might prove me wrong but I do not think they will do that.

There are many yellow flowers that have a similar flower shape so it might be a common mistake to call them Dandelions.

I used Wikipedia to get some confirmation.

Autumn Hawkbit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorzoneroides_autumnalis

Dandelion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taraxacum

Bill De Jager
On 8/18/2023 at 5:57 AM, ulf said:

Nice picture but AFAIK it is not a type of Dandelion.

The botanists of the site might prove me wrong but I do not think they will do that.

There are many yellow flowers that have a similar flower shape so it might be a common mistake to call them Dandelions.

I used Wikipedia to get some confirmation.

Autumn Hawkbit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorzoneroides_autumnalis

Dandelion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taraxacum

The enormous sunflower/aster/composite family is divided into taxonomic units called tribes.  The dandelion and a number of other species and genera are grouped into the Cichorieae or chicory tribe.  Members of this tribe have composite flowers that generally resemble dandelion flowers though in a range of colors.  A notable characteristic of this tribe is that there is only one kind of floret in the head.  In nearly all genera this is the ray or ligulate floret.

Other common members include wild lettuce (Lactuca spp.), chicory (Cichorium intybus), salisfy (Tragopogon spp.), and hawkweed (Hieraceum spp.).  Most species in the tribe are apomictic which means they produce seeds asexually.

Welcome, Chris!

My botanist's ears cringe when I hear 'dandelion' being so broadly applied to many members of the Asteraceae. In particular when the true Dandelion genus (Taraxacum) is so easy to recognise ....

Scorzoneroides autumnalis (formerly, Leontodon autumnali); the genus name of which literally is 'teeth of lion' by the way, but still no dandelion) has the typical bull's eye UV appearance.