UltravioletPhotography

The raw and the cooked

Thought I’d post before and after pics in case of interest. FS Olympus Em-5 with Grb3 and Gobo cyan filters attached. First two pics are dragged straight into Apple photos. Last one is edited with Darktable. Was late in day and no direct sunlight. The first shows the heavy red vignette at the widest aperture of about 12mm (M43, so 24mm full frame) with these filter combinations.

39944477-F892-4994-ADF9-F8C71DB9F41F.jpeg

43841F30-6812-4C6B-A060-D940180C3D90.jpeg

2E98F34F-7645-472D-8EF5-B36D9D704210.jpeg

Strange and moody! I like it. I think it might have been better to expose for longer and then darken it afterwards, because there's a lot of noise.

Question from member: So weird to have a statue like that in the middle of the pond. Are there others in that vicinity?

Yep, a bunch of them are dotted around. The river runs close to the National Gallery of Modern Art. Sculptor is Anthony Gormley. They often have driftwood and weed caught up in their legs and the occasional traffic cone on their heads…

I am not familiar with either of those filters, so I can't compare well, they all look pretty much the same, the overall red foliage.
All I usually do to UV and IR is load the RAW file into Photo Ninja, and white balance then there, save the file and then load it into Photoshop, and do a little levels adjustment sometimes, then save that. Photo Ninja has become my favorite program for white balance. I have never tried it with anything other than Nikon though.
I am surprised someone has not taken the human sculptures. I use to make castles out of stoneware clay, usually in sections which I would tie onto a metal frame back pack and install them on top of mountains and hills. I would go back and find them taken. I had one castle on display for sale in public once, and someone came and told me they had taken such a castle from a hill, and I didn't admit it was from me. But I think some of them ended up in people's yards... or homes...

I was thinking more a long the lines that I was surprised there weren't bullet holes in the statues from target practice or drunks thinking they were zombies coming out of the water.

But I lived in Wooster  Massachusetts, not spelled that way. Just sounds that way and people would shoot into the air for fun during parties. I lived next to a hospital at that time.

5 hours ago, Fandyus said:

I see you've used the same method for cheap aerochrome emulation that I did! Did you discover it yourself? :)

No. I took it from this site! I didn’t remember who had posted it so thanks for that. I got some other filters in the same order to try out. I quite like to use the images as a starting point for processing (I must be weird in that I enjoy that bit. Maybe because of my years sitting in front of a screen as a copy/sub editor for news organisations). I had another tweak of the image to bring out the statue a bit more. The “fog” on the river bank is all added with Darktable. The image is a bit mushy, I admit.

5BDD853F-F124-409A-BCA6-A3CC3B82899D.jpeg

On 2/2/2022 at 5:53 AM, Cadmium said:

I am not familiar with either of those filters, so I can't compare well, they all look pretty much the same, the overall red foliage.
All I usually do to UV and IR is load the RAW file into Photo Ninja, and white balance then there, save the file and then load it into Photoshop, and do a little levels adjustment sometimes, then save that. Photo Ninja has become my favorite program for white balance. I have never tried it with anything other than Nikon though.
I am surprised someone has not taken the human sculptures. I use to make castles out of stoneware clay, usually in sections which I would tie onto a metal frame back pack and install them on top of mountains and hills. I would go back and find them taken. I had one castle on display for sale in public once, and someone came and told me they had taken such a castle from a hill, and I didn't admit it was from me. But I think some of them ended up in people's yards... or homes...

I think there’s a CCTV camera in the bushes somewhere though if my experience with bicycles is anything to go by, that’s not usually enough of a deterrent 

these are the Aliexpress links for the filters I used (sorry the urls are enormous):

GRB3 KG3  IR Cut Filter  Heat Absorbing Glass https://star.aliexpress.com/share/share.htm?image=Uef576f9437b640da833ddfea1813101d8.jpg&businessType=ProductDetail&title=£11.56 20% Off | M52 GRB3 KG3 IR Cut Filter Heat Absorbing Glass False color Infrared Photography with KODAK EIR simulation&platform=AE&redirectUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.aliexpress.com%2Fitem%2F4001103881448.html%3F%26srcSns%3Dsns_Copy%26tid%3Dwhite_backgroup_101%26mb%3DY2QGexaOk8OwB7e%26businessType%3DProductDetail%26spreadType%3DsocialShare

Gobo Projector Color Filter Dichroic Glass used for stage light  https://star.aliexpress.com/share/share.htm?image=Ub2f4e833e75140ce91c650c07ec60d61z.jpg&businessType=ProductDetail&title=£7.70 20% Off | 4pcs ! Gobo Projector Color Filter 54mm Dichroic Glass used for stage light Advertisement Lamp&platform=AE&redirectUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.aliexpress.com%2Fitem%2F32955163599.html%3F%26srcSns%3Dsns_Copy%26tid%3Dwhite_backgroup_101%26mb%3DY2QGexaOk8OwB7e%26businessType%3DProductDetail%26spreadType%3DsocialShare

Tony, the first two images are better than the 3rd one -- IMHO, of course -- because the reflection of the trees and the statue in the water is interesting. (and eye-catching).

However you process it, it is a cool image.

You might want to try a closer up version.

If you do want the dark water, then exclude the statue from the darkening effort so it stands out well.

A 2:1 pano crop (or any pano crop you like) would be interesting if you darken the water.

Well, my goodness, where did all that come from? I usually don't get so specific about "processing". La! I usually say that "the artist is always right", not the commenters. 😄 Kindly ignore......

I’m totally with you on that. I noticed I’d lost the reflection in the last one and was thinking that wasn’t great, but I got lazy to spend any more time on it. I really appreciate the feedback. It’s hard to get constructive criticism. People can be too polite