UltravioletPhotography

Hello from Edinburgh, Scotland

Tony Barrett

Hi there,

Glad to have been able to join the forum. I've gained an interest in IR photography in recent months, bought a full spectrum converted camera and been experimenting with different filters and processing (using Darktable). I’m particularly interested in future in experimenting with photography that hints at non-visible light but is subtle enough in its application that it leaves an element of uncertainty in the viewer. I haven’t yet figured out the best way to achieve this and certainly haven’t managed it. I've added a few early experiments.

Cheers,

Tony

image3.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Fandyus said:

Damn I wish I could go to a beautiful place like Scotland to go take IR pictures.

Welcome.

Thanks. Czech Republic looks pretty nice, too! 

1 hour ago, Nate said:

Great pics, and you have some excellent scenery over there. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for with experimentation. 

Thanks.

Well black and white might get you close to your goal in UV. Ir in BW still has a signature look, but UV can be gloomy or mysterious.  Especially with water fountains. 

Also no filter full spectrum can be fun, depending on how you push the color pallet. 

I hope you have fun

Welcome to UVP, Scotland is great for UV, IR, and visible photography too.  It has been too long since I last visited, in 2019 .... hope the darned pandemic dies down and I'll be back.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:13 AM, Nate said:

Great pics, and you have some excellent scenery over there. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for with experimentation. 

Thanks Nate

On 1/24/2022 at 2:29 PM, dabateman said:

Well black and white might get you close to your goal in UV. Ir in BW still has a signature look, but UV can be gloomy or mysterious.  Especially with water fountains. 

Also no filter full spectrum can be fun, depending on how you push the color pallet. 

I hope you have fun

Thanks. I guess I have to go back to thinking of photography more as a starting point than just a documentary technique

On 1/24/2022 at 2:39 PM, nfoto said:

Welcome to UVP, Scotland is great for UV, IR, and visible photography too.  It has been too long since I last visited, in 2019 .... hope the darned pandemic dies down and I'll be back.

Thank you. When the sun shines, yes. Will be such a relief when it’s easier to get around again.

4th photo down with the dune grasses and the two people on the cliff -- that's an excellent photograph.

Thanks Andrea. There were 40mph gusts and the way the pic turned out, made me think it looked like a clifftop fight from some 60s French or Italian movie. Actually, it was a couple playing with their dog (out of shot). Bit more prosaic

3 hours ago, Tony Barrett said:

Thanks Andrea. There were 40mph gusts and the way the pic turned out, made me think it looked like a clifftop fight from some 60s French or Italian movie. Actually, it was a couple playing with their dog (out of shot). Bit more prosaic

Or a Bond movie! But you already had your Bond film there.

I meant to mention and forgot (lots going on locally)......

One of my best memories is of a visit to Scotland where a bunch of Nikongear members met up a few years ago. We stayed initially in Killin at some kind of resort with small houses scattered around and a central dining area. A photographer, the wonderful David Paterson, who lives there, arranged walks and side trips. Lovely place! We also stayed near Stornaway and saw the amazing standing stones. On the last day before leaving, 3 of us walked all over Edinburgh - the Castle, High Street and other areas.

The Castle.

castle.jpg

Lots of street life, pre-pandemic. And we all miss it!!

tavern.jpg

All the trees were in bloom. This is a Kwanzan Cherry in front of an Edinburgh row house.

cherryTree.jpg

I called this handsome fellow the Harris Tweedman. I always have fun with store window photos. Funny to see the Chinese(?) script.

harrisTweedman.jpg

Ah, lovely. And you got good weather (at least that day), by the looks. Visited Killin around Christmas this year when my mother came up from Wales, and went through Stornaway on Lewis and Harris for a staycation in September 2020 after the first lockdown ended. Pic below of Loch Tay from above Killin, near “Rob Roy’s” grave, and some from Harris.

2FA79D1D-D63E-4F48-A84D-41B696829E80.jpeg

6DFB58A1-0ADA-4E2E-8CFE-8225771F8BEF.jpeg

FDABEF88-1AEF-4E32-B350-A683D9FF62F5.jpeg

E8C35645-815D-4133-83BD-8D55BD6020D9.jpeg

ah, lovely!

That 1st photo of Loch Tay is beautiful.

I do hope to get back to Scotland.