UltravioletPhotography

New Baader U flip question.

dancingcat

I ran into a similar serial number request with Nikon. I was trying to read an entry level DSLR instruction manual to answer a student's question. 

Still looking forward to @Sue's Kolari flash test.

Thanks,

Doug A

@Andrea B.  my teflon sheet arrived yesterday.. so now can properly set custom WB in camera.  The Oly EM-1 has a thing called One Button White Balance.  Actually it’s two buttons, but not counting.. :-).  There’s a button on the body next to the lens.  You point the lens at a reference standard, the telflon sheet in my case, and hold the button down while pressing the shutter.  The camera takes a reference WB shot and then asks where you want to store it.  There are four slots for custom WB storage.  Commentary in my camera info book says to do this for every shoot or if lighting changes.  I am assuming that for uv or ir,  this should be done with the hot mirror in the visible, then switch to whatever filter is appropriate to shoot with. So will go out for some new flowers when it warms up… local temps this morning were below freezing.

@Doug A I’m not wild about the Kolari flash so far.  It’s big and looks semi-ridiculous mounted on a micro-four-thirds rig.  I ran some off-camera tests firing it manually several times on a 1 min exposure, and decided my discomfort is probably due to operator error and my dislike of flash in general.  I was happier light painting with the focus-helper flashlight Kolari provided oddly enough.  But I am a former landscape and bird photographer.  About the only thing I’ve ever used a flash for in the field is for fill and catching bird eye highlights.  So still trying to understand flash settings.  Probably folks with bigger rigs like Nikons and Canons will be happier with it.  I am going to use it in the field though when it warms up outside.  Might be useful in freezing flower motion outside with back-curtain flash in long exposures.  I’ll start a Kolari flash thread when I can get better tests for you.

I thought I went over this somewhere but will repeat….

You make and store 3 white balance settings against the PTFE. One with the lens wearing the BaaderU, one with the lens wearing the IR-pass filter, and one with the lens wearing the UVIR-cut filter.