UltravioletPhotography

webp and/or HEIF support?

Fandyus

Webp is not supported by most browsers. [see ETA] What about HEIF? I am not sure of browser support but I bet safari will allow it. 

ETA: the news looks discouraging. Apparently NO browsers currently support HEIF? Not even Safari! Unless this info is now out of date? It’s a year old. 

https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2020/12/coping-with-heic-in-the-browser/

Apparently I’m misinformed about WebP and it IS supported by most browsers!

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/22/webp-safari-14/

A quick test saving a good quality JPG as WebP in Irfanview reveals unacceptable loss of quality at default setting (75%) and even 100% (about the same file size as the original) causes noticeable quality loss when viewed in IrfanView. Nikon software is completely unaware of this format, so it would involve another step of converting. My photo web hosting site, zenfolio think they are raw files and will charge extra for them...

On 1/8/2022 at 1:45 AM, Andy Perrin said:

That seems really strange. Why even have a file format that degrades a JPG at 75%?

To save room and money. All around us quality is compressed to save space. JPEG, MP3 and all kind of other compression formats. 

Thanks,

Doug A

1 hour ago, Doug A said:

To save room and money. All around us quality is compressed to save space. JPEG, MP3 and all kind of other compression formats. 

Thanks,

Doug A

But we can just use JPG - if this is meant to improve on JPG, it must do better than JPG.

2 hours ago, Andy Perrin said:

But we can just use JPG - if this is meant to improve on JPG, it must do better than JPG.

Define better. To us it is better image quality, to others less bandwidth is better. If it is a smaller file than a JPEG it wins. Doesn't matter the quality. Unfortunately, many people don't care about quality. They listen to music on a 2" "walki talki" speaker. 

Thanks,

Doug A

My test JPG saved at 40% quality is about the same size as the 75% webex webp, and has pretty much the same quality, actually a little more detailed as webex webp tend to chomp up some small details by smoothing over it.

On 1/10/2022 at 9:52 AM, Andy Perrin said:

Are webex and webp the same?

Oops, a little brainfart, it was of course webp, corrected above.

Webex is a communication tool somewhat similar to Zoom. Some work contacts I meet with insist on using it instead of Zoom.