UltravioletPhotography

Tree comparison Uv/visual

I find it fascinating how different types of trees look in UV. Leaves and needles seem to be way different. This comparison was pretty much just wanted to get out and snap something with only an hour to spare. Used 77D, Nikkor 80mm@5.6

Kolari Hot Mirror as an IR blocker, 1/1600 iso 400. lets a bunch of uv in so vis might not be really accurate 

181107474_colordone.png.5a67d1e70e6b4f5a5c4887280d04a0e9.png

Badder U  0.17sec iso 400. Contrast and sharpen

1421085929_uvdone.png.d092d8371153af85a46985dec419efcb.png

Thanks for looking

Yes, evergreen trees are unusually bright. I once used a spruce tree as a test subject and thought I had a leak because it didn't look right.

1 hour ago, Fandyus said:

thought I had a leak because it didn't look right.

Same here, I had the false assumption that all trees, grass, and bushes were black, and just flowers had colors. I think with what I'm learning, there can be a wider selection of great images.

The UV looks fantastic. For the visible, I suggest getting a Zeiss T* to cut the UV. Just stack it with the Kolari hot mirror. You can also make a color profile in PhotoNinja or whatever if you have a Color Checker Passport.

9 minutes ago, Cadmium said:

Very nice photo comparison

Thanks, Looking forward to trying out some of my other uv filters with the Schott S8612 I just ordered😁

5 hours ago, colinbm said:

I just can't get over the variation of the vegetation ?

It's like this everywhere around my neck of the woods. I'm really glad I moved close to the mountains. I keep trying to catch me a Sasquatch with my thermal😁  They say the Pacific Northwest in the US is the place to look.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late, please excuse me!

Your UV photo is a good illustration of foliage variation in UV reflectivity. I have also observed this also.

A couple of years ago we finally managed to get to Utah and Idaho on the way to see Yellowstone National Park. Idaho is beautiful country.

24 minutes ago, Andrea B. said:

Idaho is beautiful country

It really is, I need to get out more to the woods and do some exploring, but with winter coming, going to be harder with just a car. I've never been to Yellowstone, but I hear it's amazing. My mom worked there back in the early 70's, and had a blast the whole time.