UltravioletPhotography

First time, first light, UV landscape

This was my opening impression of the mouth of Dørdalen, a mountain landscape shaped by inland glaciers during the last Ice Age.  The vegetation cover is very sparse and mainly comprise stunted birch Betula spp. and their hybrids, mixed with low-growing willows Salix spp. More than ten thousand years after the last glaciers melted away, subsoil layers are only a few cm deep due to the hard rocks prevailing here, plus the fact the entire area is in the rain shadow of the central mountain range forming the "spine" of Norway. Natur photographers flock to the valley like migratory birds attracted by the wonderful autumn colours usually combined with fresh snow on the local mountains. I must a bit shame-facedly admit to having visited here lots of times, but to my lame excuse is the fact I have done UV and IR landscapes unlike the other crowds. Or so I keep telling myself.

My first time with a UV-Nikkor on the digital camera that was all the rage and the envy of many, viz. the Nikon D1, more than 20 years ago. I had the UV-Nikkor with the factory "FF" filter (roughly equivalent to a Wratten 18B I'm told), put the lens on the D1, flipped up the filter holder so I could focus, then flipped down the FF and fired away. Only a little later I became acutely aware that I had recorded not only UV. but IR concomitantly. But for the present I was thrilled by the footage I got.

B000924082_UV_first_light_Døråldalen.jpg

So here it is.

There are lots and lots of glacial remains here as moraines, eskers, drumlins, kettle lakes, and the list goes on and on. Literally the entire valley is a textbook illustration of glacial and glacio-fluvial processes.

I never was able to capture anything equally mesmerising in terms of UV landscapes later.

An amazing UV+IR photograph from the good old D1. And it is always very interesting to hear about your adventures as one of the few truly professional UV photographers.

I remember how much geology you showed me during the Norway Safari of 2014. And the fascinating use of Norway's rivers for hydro-electric power with no harm to the rivers. And the glacier we saw, my first glacier.

(Knowing what we know now, it would be interesting to see the raw colors of this photograph prior to your color treatment.)

lukaszgryglicki

Actually the shorter the wavelength - the more scattering - this is why sky looks white in UV black in IR and blue in normal photos (the shortest wave).

So because shorter UV records in yellow or even green - sky should be yellowish imho - that is expected.

The image is a  result of a quite interesting UV - VIS? - IR mixture.

It reminds me a bit of the VIS-IR Aerochrome images.

It would be fun to find a filter set that emulates this "Nikon-D1 filtering" with a more modern camera and a suitable stack including an UV-Pass filter. 

Lukas - frequently that is the case. It is not an absolute rule. And a spin of the color wheel or a different filter (with transmission tilted toward shorter or longer wavelengths) changes everything. Color-wavelength relationship is not an exact mapping. 

12 hours ago, colinbm said:

"And a spin of the color wheel."
I am not familiar with this idea ?

What does it look like in a converter ?

Colin you are familiar with it. Not sure why you say that. See this recent thread where the color wheel was spun 170 degrees. 

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/4994-people-in-uv-duisburg-on-the-edge-of-the-action/#comment-51453

You even replied there so I know you saw it. 

Yes I did see it & it has troubled me since.
Can someone show me, a screen shot, of what the action looks like in a converter please ?
I have a few converters, but I don't know what I need to do to spin the colour 170 degs ?

Photoshop (any version) and then Image->Adjustments->Hue/Saturation, and then drag the Hue slider. It's not literally a wheel (as shown by PS anyway), but it's measured in degrees.

2017205913_ScreenShot2021-11-15at9_23_05PM.png.0668817ea7f7a9a2304e637606f825a6.png

Other programs will have a similar Hue control, but I know PS best.