UltravioletPhotography

Dresden from a distance through the mirror

StephanN

Some details from Dresdens architecture, taken from the other bank of the Elbe, so the slight blurriness might be caused by this.

Camera: Canon EOS 6D, b/w, internal X330C, external S8612

Lens: MTO 3M-5CA 500mm f/8 mirror lens

(proves the point that in UV tele-lenses may be useful 😉 )

20210910_Dresden_UV_0005.jpg

20210910_Dresden_UV_0007.jpg

20210910_Dresden_UV_0009.jpg

20210910_Dresden_UV_0010.jpg

20210910_Dresden_UV_0011.jpg

20210910_Dresden_UV_0012.jpg

20210910_Dresden_UV_0015.jpg

1 hour ago, colinbm said:

Wow you have got that MTO killer sharp.

Yeah, got lucky, I suppose. Some people say that one has to "relax" a mirror lens to achieve acceptable sharpness, but for me, this is fine 🙂

42 minutes ago, Doug A said:

@StephanNspectacular results, especially with a mirror lens. Thought mirrors were supposed to struggle with UV? Is the lens a cat or mak?

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

I think it's a Maksutov-type. I own a couple of other mirror-lenses, but the 500 mm is small enough to take along and use on a travel tripod. Did a quick comparison some time ago:

@StephanNthanks for the extra info and tests. Most mirrors are silver. Silver is supposed to "black out" in a certain UV range. Most be lower than 330nm. Maks have very thick front glass elements compared to cats, so it would seem their UV reach would be worse.

Your results are phenomenal. The Soligor looks to be struggling in UV quality compared to the  others. Dad relaxed a Celestron 5" cat and the sharpness was much better. Relaxing only helps if the lens is too tight to begin with. Your lenses look great, wouldn't mess with them at all. Now I have to test my mirror lenses. 

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

1 hour ago, Doug A said:

@StephanNthanks for the extra info and tests. Most mirrors are silver. Silver is supposed to "black out" in a certain UV range. Most be lower than 330nm. Maks have very thick front glass elements compared to cats, so it would seem their UV reach would be worse.

Your results are phenomenal. The Soligor looks to be struggling in UV quality compared to the  others. Dad relaxed a Celestron 5" cat and the sharpness was much better. Relaxing only helps if the lens is too tight to begin with. Your lenses look great, wouldn't mess with them at all. Now I have to test my mirror lenses. 

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

Thanks @Doug A, in fact, I'm not sure why I did buy the Soligor back "when I wore a younger man's clothes", having already bought the Russian lenses before. And the 500mm f/8 is really handy, due to its small size, so I'll probably take it along on future city-trips.