UltravioletPhotography

UV image with 3 element lens

Remembered an old Ponder & Best /Vivitar  105mm F4.5, three element enlarging lens in storage.  Paid $10 for two of them with a load of photo stuff I purchased. Diagram shows 3 air spaced elements. There is a very slight yellowish coating.  Lens seems to record UV yellow as well as the El-Nikkor 80 & 135 and the Igoriginal 35mm F3.5 lens. With 3 elements, I'm not sure if it is as sharp. More testing required. 

Custom WB camera preset, based on block wrapped in plumber's tape . Silkypix Raw converter used to slightly adjust WB and increase color saturation.  Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 provided slightl cropping, resizing, and sharpening. 

Camera:   Pentax K-1 full frame modified by Kolari  Vision  for full spectrum

Lens:         Ponder & Best/Vivitar  105mm enlarging lens on Pentax bellows.

Filter:         Igoriginal supplied ZWB-1 2mm and BG39 2.3mm

Exposure:  F11 3 seconds at  ISO 400 in sunlight

Comments welcome.

Thanks for looking,

Doug A

IMGP3677yellowflowersingrassVivitar105UV.jpg

Congratulations on the beautiful lens, Doug!

And I really like the picture with the bright yellow in front of the very dark "green" :) 

Nice, Oxalis and Veronica make a great contrast in their UV appearances. I have seen similar rendition from either of these before. Both genera contain far too many species for me to make an infomed decision of that the actual specis are here, however. Maybe Andrea can pin-point better?

Doug,
I know you know the following, but it might be new to some readers:
Many of the favorite lenses for UV are triplet, either three element or three group. The fewer glass/air transitions, the higher the UV transmission. All the Cassar lenses, cassarete, cassaron, etc. are triplets. The following are also triplets - triotar, isconar, iscotar, meritar, all pieskers, trioplan, trinar, helomar, telomar, color pantar, radionar, cassar, apotar, reomar, and geronar. Some of those are fine lenses. I usually use Tessars which are 4elements/3 groups, because the resultant images please me. :)

Very nice! The flowers and leaves stood still for 3 seconds…. so no wind I guess. Wind has made it difficult for me to take pictures of flowers over the summer, most of them being blurry. Roses for example are black in UV so to get some details I needed to expose longer, too long in fact because it was always a little breezy. 

Everyone, thanks for the tips and kind words. @nfotoappreciate your help identifying the flowers. I know little about flowers and this points me in the correct direction.

@rfcurry I didn't know all the 3 element product names. This list will help when looking for other candidates. I'd still like an UV capable lens above 135mm for landscapes. 

@Kristine there has been wind.  Seems like constant wind. I shot many frames to get a few sharp images of these flowers. Wind is one reason I'm trying UV flash. Need more light.

When time permits I'll add a picture of the lens to the lens gallery.

Thanks everyone,

Doug A