UltravioletPhotography

Lenticular Clouds

Andrea B.

Oh cool!! That was the strangest conjunction of signage and clouds. Perfect for an IR photo.

Explanation to UVP Members:  Birna's photo was made on the Desert Safari of 2012 which I organized for Birna and a few other folks we met up with. We wandered around the deserts in the American Southwest making UV/IR photos - not all of them botanical. In this location, somewhere near the Joshua Tree National Monument, we met up with this Lenticular Cloud which seemed to follow us for quite some time that day. I have photos somewhere of this Cloud over some Joshua Trees. 

For non-US residents, we have a restaurant here known informally as IHOP, International House of Pancakes. So the religious group is playing on that with JHOP.

This photo also reminds me to set up an IR camera to have on hand ready-to-go so that when the Lenticular Clouds puff up over the mountains I will be ready.

No, we jumped into the Ford Explorer and zipped away because we didn't want to meet up with Elon Musk. He's a terrible driver at low altitudes.

Bill De Jager

There actually are people who believe these clouds are alien spaceships.

I haven't quite pulled it off yet, but I'm planning to get over to the east side of the Sierra Nevada in California some time in the next couple of months to do some photography. That mountain range is famous in the western U.S. for producing elongated lenticular clouds as air at various altitudes is forced up as it goes over the mountains.  We're now at the time of year when this is much more likely to happen.